Pages


Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Go Gold--Natalee


Last december, my little brother, Isaac, was diagnosed with stage four rhabdomyosarcoma cancer. Rhabdomyosarcoma is an aggressive form of childhood cancer that takes place in soft tissue and then forms cancerous tumors, in which the doctors had found multiple tumors in his abdomen. Right away they started his intensive chemo treatments and the process began. A couple weeks in,his hair began to fall followed by his eyebrows and his long curly eyelashes, and the energy inside his little body began to fade with every ounce of chemo that entered his bloodstream.The next nine months were filled with doctor's visits, blood being drawn,radiation, CT scans,medicine every hour each for a different purpose and long dreadful hospital stays.

A port was put into his right side of his chest right in between his skin and the muscle. The port is where he received his chemo. Everytime he went in for his treatments, he described the chemo of a bitter taste of metal in the back of his throat. His blood counts began to drop and his immune system began to fall. He had to be taken out of school, away from all his friends and back at home he had to be moved out of his room, which he shared with my other two little brothers and into his parents room to keep a close eye at all times. Isaac wasn't allowed to leave the house since his immune system was weak. On my birthday isaac had gone out to the movies,he had convinced us he was feeling well enough, after the movie was over he was on his way home when he started to complain he didn't feel well. By the time he came home he had spiked a fever of 102 and had to be rushed to the hospital. I spent my birthday night worrying whether my brothers sickness had gotten worse. He spent the next couple of days stuck in the hospital, with tests being ran everyday. This was only one out of many times he had to spend multiple nights at the hospital.

Radiation therapy had its fair share on isaac. He was put into a machine where he was told not to move, and stay still. The machine then distributed radiation into his abdomen, which targeted his tumors and burned his insides to try and shrink the tumors as much as possible. Over the course of a couple of treatments, certain parts of his skin became purple and green almost like bruises, this was one side effect of the radiation. From chemo and radiation his weight began to drop and every night for two months he was hooked on a machine called TPN which distributed nutrients through his port. All these treatments changed my litte brother, he was no longer the energetic little boy who was constantly running around anymore. He spent most of the time laying in bed or sitting on the couch.

In July, Isaac had received a CT scan to see how well the chemo and radiation have been working. The results came back and the doctors said that his tumors looked like dead scar tissue caused from the radiation. This was the best news that we had received in the past seven month. On September 25 isaac rang the bell and received his last treatment of chemo, he is now set into remission where he then waits five years to be completely cancer free. Go Gold for those who have won their battle,Go Gold for those who have lost and Go Gold for those who are still fighting. Go Gold.

27 comments:

  1. I love this narrative and the story behind it. It's amazing how your brother and your family stayed strong during this. A great piece of art. SUPER PROUD OF YOU NATALEE!!!! :) -Krystal A

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was very heartwarming and reassuring to read. It definitely caught my attention in the first paragraph and made me invested and interested enough to keep reading and to be happy to read good things at the end. -Fatima J.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no words other than "I am shocked". This story wasn't what I was expecting with the title "Go Gold" but it sure makes good use of the title. I understand your pain as well but I will abstain from giving any information. The pain of having to see someone you know very well be injured or sick is very heartbreaking. This story completely encompasses those emotions as well as the hope and joy that the future may bring after one is healed. Very touching.
    -Edmund Yim

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was very much touched by your piece, I'm happy to hear that Isaac is doing better. Much love and prayers to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate your willingness to be so open in retelling a difficult part of your life in order to bring awareness to a sensitive topic. This will allow many readers to connect with your experience. - Taylor Clayton

    ReplyDelete
  6. Natalee, I'm glad that your little brother is in remission. Before reading your personal narrative, I had never heard of rhabdomyosarcoma cancer and did not understand your 'Go Gold' reference, but after a quick internet search I was able to learn more about the cancer and that gold is the rhabdomyosarcoma ribbon color. Thank you for spreading awareness to myself and all others who read your narrative.
    -Lauren Whightsil

    ReplyDelete
  7. The title and the story were not what I expected, when I read the title I thought about jewelry not childhood cancer awareness. Before reading this piece, I had no idea what rhabdomyosarcoma cancer was. It must have been really hard for you to go through this. I'm so glad that Isaac received his last round of chemo and is on his way to remission. This story really touched me because when I'm older I actually want to be a surgeon for children with cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I cannot start to think how you felt during this time. I am so happy that your brother is now doing much better. I loved your use of imagery and detail. Great hook, great piece overall.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Natalee, this was a really eye-opening account from someone who indirectly felt the experience of cancer on a loved one. I felt the pain you felt and the pain your brother felt through your very descriptive details. I am touched that you were willing to share your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When reading this piece, my whole mood turned from calm to sad. But I am glad that your little brother is alright now due to the support and love from his family. Thank you for sharing this personal story with us. - Amy Lau

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am happy your little brother is doing better! I have never heard of rhabdomyosarcoma before but thank you for spreading awareness and sharing this personal information; You never know who can relate. - Tatiana Nunez Per. 3

    ReplyDelete
  12. As a big sister myself I can't imagine your pain. Great job staying positive and supportive. Hang in there girl! Love goes out to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was a really powerful piece of writing that had me emotionally invested the entire time. Your description of the event made me feel like i was somehow involved in the ordeal; your description of your brother's experiences and behaviors were vivid. I'm so happy to hear your brother is okay, and I hope you are too. Thankyou so much for sharing this story, its message and power are intense.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was an incredibly powerful story that is effectively delivered with an amazing sense of detail, to the point where I almost felt as though i was involved in the ordeal. It had me entirely emotionally invested the entire time, and I'm glad to hear your brother is okay, I hope you are too. Thank you for sharing this experience, it has an extremely vivid and intense message and delivery.
    -Andre Perez

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad you were able to see things through to support your brother during the ups and downs of his treatment. This was definitely an inspiring piece. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I admire the topic you chose to centralize your piece around, and how supportive you were for your brother. Having a younger brother myself, I found myself relating to your story, in terms of how I would feel if my brother went through what Isaac did. Your ending message was truly inspiring as well. Great job !- Hannah Espejo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Reading this was tough. But to read that everything worked out in the end gave me such a relief. I can only imagine how the good news was for you. Very descriptive and filled with great imagery.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a very insightful and important piece. Thank you for sharing, I wish you and your family the best. People do not understand fully or connect with a story until you hear it first hand, that's why I think it's very important that you shared this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The emotion that stems from this piece is remarkable, you truly captivate your reader with a picture of a little boy that has been reduced to a shell of his former self. A very powerful piece overall.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It’s inspiring how your brother fights his illness everyday. Especially, the repetition at the end stood out to me as a way to encourage people to fight everyday because it is possible to overcome obstacles to be the person you strive to be. - Joshua Dalisay

    ReplyDelete
  21. This experience you wrote about made my heart sway and drop with every word read. The amount of strength that you and your brother have is inhuman. The way that you ended the narrative with the insanely good news made my soul jump with relief that it gets a happy ending. You had me on an emotional roller coaster, it was well written. And my prayers go to you and your family.
    -Oved Renteria

    ReplyDelete
  22. I was really touched by this piece, it made me put myself in your shoes. I can't imagine what it's like to see someone that close to me go through something like that. I'm pleased to hear that he's doing fine. My prayers go out to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I couldn't imagine the turmoil of watching a family member go through something like that. Both you and your brother are incredibly strong! I like how you alluded to the title of the piece at the very end and wrapped it up nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  24. First of all,
    Thank you.
    You shared this necessary story when it is so imaginably difficult to do so.
    "Go Gold." is a call to action which I now hear ringing in my ears like the bell little Isaac rang in the story.
    Persevere.

    With Respect, Connor

    ReplyDelete
  25. Natalee,
    This is not an easy subject to talk about, so thank you so much for sharing it with us. When reading this, I thought of my younger brothers and the part where you had stated that your brother lost his energy really touched me because I could not imagine my brother lose his energy, it would be devastating. Your brother is very strong and I hope he continues to fight and regain his energy in the future. I also like how you titled this piece, "Go Gold" and ended it through repeating those words because it really tied everything together and brought attention to the subject matter. Once again, thank you so much and well done!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sharing such a personal story shows that you are strong just like your brother. I admire your families strength during such an awful situation and I truly couldn't be more happy that your brother is doing better. Thank you for sharing this, I'm sending as much positive energy to your family and brother as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  27. When I first read the title I thought this piece would be about something pertaining to a gold medal, but to my realization it wasn't. It was a beautifully written piece and touched my heart. Personal things like this are hard to talk about, and you shared this really well .

    ReplyDelete