Pages


Monday, October 23, 2017

RTC--Giancarlo


RTC (Recruit Training Camp) is what I did this past summer for the duration of two
drawn-out weeks and let me tell you it wasn’t all that fun and all that bad. On July 2nd two days after I shaved my beautiful head I headed to a Army base camp in Northern California named Camp Roberts. Before I go more deeper into my full metal jacket experience of this camp, let me tell you as to why I went there. I’m signed up in this youth program called Navy Sea Cadets, this program teaches young individuals about the sea-going military services, U.S. naval operations and training, community service, citizenship, and an understanding of discipline and teamwork. Navy Sea cadets is the closest thing to military a youth can experience, and when you sign up you sign up as an recruit and must complete your BMR (Basic Military Requirements) which in total is fifteen assignments about the Navy. Now that you have a brief knowledge as to why I was there let's get back to RTC. Before arriving to camp the program sends a list of all the requirements for this training. 

First you needed two sets of NWUs (Navy Work Uniform), boots, running shoes,eight navy blue t-shirts, eight pairs of black socks, six pairs of white socks, and shorts for PT (physical training), one set of your dress whites (formal uniform), dress shoes, and two white t-shirts. Of course a toothbrush and toothpaste is needed, deodorant, sewing kit, shavers, and shaving cream, body wash, shampoo, and conditioner. Other things include two locks and two keys, shoe shine
kit, towel, sandals, band aids for any sort of blisters. Lastly I had to bring my ID that was given to me back at my division and my service jacket which documents my physical and services I have done with my division. At the time, this list was very overwhelming to me because it was a lot to remember, and if I forgot something I didn’t know what will happen, stories I’ve heard said then send me right back home and that would be a bad reputation on me and my division. On the day I left for camp I made sure I had everything I needed for training and like always I did end up forgetting this very important item my ID card. 

On the drive to camp I was worrying about what will happen and what wouldn't happen and the bad status I’ll give myself and even worst my division. I finally arrived to Camp Roberts as a recruit with my shaved head, bag upon my back, and a well worn uniform. The petty officers showed me towards sign in where I met my DivO (Division Officer). I finally shaved off the bad news about my ID, and he said it wouldn’t be a problem. Those wore music to my ears when he said those words. After that I had to set my stuff down and say goodbye to my parents or how the Petty Officers say it “hugs and kisses”. Once all that is done I have to get in formation and stand at attention until told not to. Now standing at attention is done correctly when you stand straight, feet placed together by the heel and forming a space between the toes, and having your hands closed as a fist a placing it down the seams of your trousers. The way to close your fist is taught by imaging you're carrying a roll of quarters between your fingers. Lastly when standing at attention you must NOT look around, and unfortunately for me I was caught looking around by a Petty Officer that was approximately a year younger than me, one thing to say about this embarrassing. 

The Petty Officers are officers that’ll be teaching the recruits everything you have learned from your BMR. One thing to note about the Petty Officers is they are teenagers part of the Sea Cadets just higher rank. When the Petty Officer caught me he told me to look straight and count how many hairs the recruit in front of me had. When he came back to look at to ask me how many hairs he had, I had to tell him the truth which was “too many to count”. Finally we were told to march to our barracks which was a long hot march down a hill. I finally arrived to my barracks and met the Command Chief. Command Chief is a short girl around the age of eighteen, and one thing I had to say was she got me scared of her. She told all the recruits who was there to grab your bags and run to our barracks. Inside my barracks I met my Petty Officers and Chief Price who will guide me towards being a cadet in the next two weeks. At RTC there are 4 divisions, division one being an all girl division, I was put in division two, and towards the end of two weeks all four divisions would be put to the challenge of all the things we learned at RTC and go against each other in a test called Battle Stations. In the first day of boot camp my division organized our barracks and but all of our belongings into a our locker that was located next to our racks (beds) and started studying for our test at the end. 

In the span of two weeks my division and I worked as a team, and helped each other out when we needed the help, and talked as a team on the problems we faced and needed to fix. This led us to beating the other divisions in battle stations and claiming honor division. RTC in the end taught me teamwork and the accomplishments we as a team can achieve by facing our challenges together and being their for one another, when we felt home sick in those long two weeks.

14 comments:

  1. I enjoyed how you described certain aspects of your training for those that may not have previously known what they were. It allowed for people to better connect with you piece and understand what you experienced. - Taylor Clayton

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked hearing about your experience in camp. It is really cool that you got that type of experience for two weeks and that your division was able to claim honor. I like how you described your experience and made it interesting for the reader. Good job!
    - Alana Robinson, P4

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love the fact your joining the navy. I have three older siblings who are serving in the Air Force, Army, Navy. I think that your experience was amazing and were there for only two weeks. i could tell how important the RTC was to you through how you got super worried about your ID getting left at home. Also, shows how much being prepared means to you and wanting to impress your division. Your good with the chronological order of the experience. great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love the fact your joining the navy. I have three older siblings who are serving in the Air Force, Army, Navy. I think that your experience was amazing and were there for only two weeks. i could tell how important the RTC was to you through how you got super worried about your ID getting left at home. Also, shows how much being prepared means to you and wanting to impress your division. Your good with the chronological order of the experience. great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love the fact your joining the navy. I have three older siblings who are serving in the Air Force, Army, Navy. I think that your experience was amazing and were there for only two weeks. i could tell how important the RTC was to you through how you got super worried about your ID getting left at home. Also, shows how much being prepared means to you and wanting to impress your division. Your good with the chronological order of the experience. great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's cool that you have this experience to share and help you grow and learn. I'm sure doing something this strict is hard, I mean even towards the start you mention shaving off your beautiful hair, and I know I wouldn't be willing to do that. Plus it's awesome that you can have a two week trial before you dedicate your future to it officially, I didn't know that existed before I read this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your narrative was both very informative and intriguing! The way you incorporated your personal experiences with background information about the program and what goes into it, helped me understand more of what was going on. Your use of small details was also very enjoyable and made the piece more entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked reading about your experience at Recruit Training Camp, personally, I feel like I would enjoy this experience. I enjoyed the detailed descriptions of your encounters with the petty officers, it made it interesting to read about.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was a really entertaining personal story, Im sad it ended. I really liked your lighthearted approach on the story's telling, with an extremely direct and literal description of events. Nice job
    -André Perez

    ReplyDelete
  10. I appreciated how you described the training, this really helped educate me about it, before this I was very ignorant to military training and I wish you the best in the navy
    - Omar Abuelhassan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your explanation of your experience at the RTC was very insightful. I can tell that you worked very hard during those two weeks and learned the skill of teamwork. Congratulations to you and your team for winning those events!

    -Ezinne Abba

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like your story because you elaborate so well on all the aspects of your story. Plus, I have friends who have done stuff similar to what you did in the past so I can kind of relate because they have told me similar stories. Overall, this was a very interesting story and really well-written. -Behrouz Khokhar

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome piece, Giancarlo. Your narrative was humorous and captivating. I especially liked the "Full Metal Jacket" allusion. Best of luck in the Navy Sea Cadets program!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really liked hearing about this from someones actual experience. Made the read a lot quicker and I actually want to hear more about how all this goes for you.

    ReplyDelete