Pages


Wednesday, January 10, 2018

It's All In Your Head--Johnny


There’s this really strange and awkward kid in my 3rd period. Sometimes he laughs and socializes with his friends around him. However, he will also laugh and talk to himself on the days that he isolates himself. Our teacher could be lecturing about something boring and I look over to him and he’s laughing so hard to himself. I’m pretty sure the teacher didn’t say or do anything funny, though… There’s also these times where I’ll look at him and he’s crying while talking to himself but makes no audible words. He only mouths words. “Stop. Stop. Stop.” Is what I think he’s saying. Anyways, like I was saying, there’s this really creepy and weird kid in my 3rd period and I’m pretty sure he belongs in a mental hospital or insane asylum.

~ ~ ~

            Hi, I’m the voice inside your head. The one voice you listen to the most.” said a voice. “Hello, I am also that voice in your head!” said a second voice. “Me too!” said the third. “Hey, Don’t forget about me.” said a forth before a fifth chimes in, “Or Me!” “You guys, shut up…” exclaims the first voice as he continues talking to you. “…These people aren’t used to hearing more than one voice in their head so just let me talk for a minute. I’m sorry we must be confusing you, let me explain what I mean. You see, a normal brain has that one voice in their head that guides their host from right and wrong. Sound familiar? Well, my host is a paranoid schizophrenic so he houses all five of us in his stupid, small brain. I’m pretty sure you know that the voice in your head contradicts itself a lot and goes back and forth endlessly, but, can you imagine how loud it gets in here especially being so crowded in a tight space? Our main goal is just to keep our host safe and make sure he doesn’t do anything to draw attention to us. We all have a great time making jokes and laughing with each other here and there, however, it’s not always that easy. Sadly. Sometimes, we accidentally get too mad at him and we will yell at him but we don’t mean to. It just happens. Anyhow, it’s been a pleasure chatting with you but I better get going before something bad happens.”

~ ~ ~

            So you've had a conversation with part of my head now, huh? They never stop talking? Yeah. I’m familiar with that. Hi, my name is Johnny and I’m a paranoid schizophrenic. I’ve either completely lost you or your interest has been peaked, either way, I’ll explain for you what this all means. People have this preconceived notion that schizophrenics all belong in asylums because they’re insane and can’t function on their own. Surprisingly, I think I’ve been doing quite alright and I’m almost 18 years old already. You see, my main problem is my anxiety. I’m a ‘paranoid’ schizophrenic because I’m quite literally paranoid of everything. My fears can range daily from being convinced someone from the government placed surveillance cameras in my room so I have to sleep on the couch to freaking out for an entire day over that one second some random person looked at me.
            Whenever I’m scared someone is after me, I tend to distance myself even from close friends for I gravely fear they have betrayed me and are working with my enemies. It’s in those times where I’m left with just my thoughts and all I can do is listen to the voices in my head. Many times, it can be really entertaining as the voices remind me of hilarious Vines I watched or something funny that someone said ten years ago. Other times, it is the absolute worst thing as every voice in my head begins to wage wars inside my mind. The simplest of daily tasks become impossible to me. If someone looks at me, then the voices start screaming at me saying that person is going to kill me. Sometimes, the voices tell me not to do certain things otherwise something bad will happen like talking to my friends will result in my mom getting in a car accident. A lot of times, they tell me to hurt myself or someone else I love will get hurt. I know I can’t hurt myself so I spend the next week in isolation, anxiety, and deep depression as I hope I haven’t potentially hurt anyone I love. People always tell me “It’s all in your head” but it’s so hard to believe them when all I can hear is evil screaming into my ears. I can’t do anything except stand still in fear and cry to myself.

        I know I’m probably that really weird kid everyone laughs at but I don’t blame them. I am weird. I just want to be happy. I just want them to stop. I want them to stop. Please stop.

21 comments:

  1. I really admire your courage and bravery in sharing this story. It opened my mind to something that I do not often think about.
    -Alanah Arteaga

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey best friend. I appreciate you posting this and trusting people. You're so strong, which you don't give yourself enough credit for. I'm really proud of you and I love you lots. As for the writing itself, you portrayed and explained it to the readers well. This is like what you tell me in person, so it makes reading it very personal and intimate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This piece of fiction drew me in. It is written in a fluid writing style that has no metaphorical jagged edges that cause jumbled reading. I'd be interested on how this would continue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, one of my new favorite flash fiction stories! Oh my goodness the timeline was great and juts wanted to say thank you for sharing this story. I truly loved it Johnny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are brave for opening up about something so scary and debilitating. I can only imagine what that must be like and I really appreciate the fact that you are so open and transparent about your experiences. This piece, and you, are amazing. - Aaryn Cranon

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought it was really interesting to see, or I guess hear, what a schizophrenic person does. I think its awesome that you were able to come out and talk about this and facing your fears. - Brandon Porter

    ReplyDelete
  7. the time line was great thank you for sharing this story i appreciate you being transparent this piece was amazing.-Ladaijah

    ReplyDelete
  8. First off, I really like the way you broke up this narrative. The way you organized the piece along with the fluidity of writing made the narrative all the more compelling and understanding. I have a schizophrenic uncle and from my experiences with anxiety, I thought the insight into this problem was done really well. And to be able to not only have schizophrenia but also learn to live with it is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think its amazing that you shared this with everyone and the fact that you are an actual person with schizophrenia telling us what its like gives the audience an even better perspective on schizophrenia especially if they don't know what it is or aren't very familiar with it. -Genesis Mendoza

    ReplyDelete
  10. Was a good story, liked how you opened up to share this. Keep up the good work.
    - Michael Hernandez

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow this piece was so deep and personal and touching. Thank you for sharing this part of yourself with us. Also, I appreciate that you explained schizophrenia to us. I learned something new.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really admire the vulnerability you put into this piece in order to spread awareness of this mental illness. You really shined a light onto the misconceptions people often have. I hope you find comfort in the fact that your loved ones will always be there to reassure you during your bad times. Stay strong!
    -Arianna Perez

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thank you so much for sharing this personal narrative, it was very courageous of you and opens the minds of many. This was written in such a great way to definitely help the reader understand what you are going through as well as possibly others. I feel as though even though this may seem like "just a blog post" you are speaking for others who may not be able to or are too scared to. Thank ypu for sharing this piece and this was very well written (: --Kayla Leonard

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, this hit me on so many levels at the same time. To think that you battle with this everyday is simply amazing and I can say with certainty that you have come a long way and that you are a very strong individual. Keep it up man!!!
    -Oved Renteria

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so glad I read this piece, you have truly courageous for sharing this Johnny. I honestly have learned a lot by reading this, I didn't exactly understand what schizophrenia was until now, thank you.
    - Alyssa Montero

    ReplyDelete
  16. One of my favorites..This is a really great piece. So deep and personal. I really appreciate the fact that you are so open about your experiences. Thank you for sharing this, you explained schizophrenia well that I fully know what it is. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so inspired by your encouragement to share your story with us. While reading this piece, it made me think about a lot of things and at first I didn't know what schizophrenia was until I read this piece. Great job and keep up the good work.
    -Briana Santana


    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow. Extremely impressed and amazed by the courage, I can only imagine what it took to get this down on paper. Well written to say the least. This is without a doubt my favorite piece out of all the ones of read to date. I have to commend you on your courage and wish you the absolute best.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Like what everyone else had mentioned, I really admire your courage to share this personal side of you. Being able to write or about something like this is difficult but I am extremely glad you did because it provided me with an insight of what it's like to be schizophrenic.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Man, it's a bit difficult for me to put all of my thoughts towards this into words but I would first just like to say that I have so much respect and admiration towards you for doing something this bold and valiant its amazing. Simply writing on this topic is one thing, but the structuring of the writing and how you executed it was very well done. Thank you for creating something like this, fantastic stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  21. it is always good to be brave I am proud that you broke that

    ReplyDelete