Pages


Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Sienna--My Journey

My freshman year I lived in Arizona and I was content with the lifestyle I had back there. I was fortunate enough to have a stable group of friends that I had grown up with since I moved. As far as my school life, I went to one of the most excelled schools in the state, and I was doing very well. Just when the start of my high school experience was beginning to take off, things changed. I was born here in California and when we moved to Arizona, it was depressing have to leave our entire family and everything we established here behind. My family and I lived in Arizona for approximately seven years, and the topic of us moving back to California came up frequently, although we never actually followed through with this aspiration of ours. Towards the end of my first semester as a freshman, I noticed that this time my parents were serious about moving and I was beyond terrified. They had always promised me that once I entered high school we wouldn’t move because they did not want me to have to re-adapt once I have already set my foundation in high school, especially since I was doing very well in school. Unfortunately, sometimes promises are broken, my parents told me in around November of my freshman year that we were going to be moving back to California by the start of the upcoming semester. I was very confused and upset, at the same time overjoyed, this combustion of feelings was a very emotional time for me. A part of me wanted to be excited, with my parents, but the other half of me was crying on the inside because I knew this meant I would be leaving everything that I had established in Arizona behind. For the few months that preceded I masked my true emotions to my parents because I knew that this was something that they had wanted to do for a while now and I honestly, did not want to be a debbie downer. So many thoughts and questions were in my mind, where are we going to live? What school was I going to attend? Would I make friends? Will I ever see my friends from Arizona again? This was extremely overwhelming for me and I knew it was for my entire family as well, but they had different concerns. As we packed our boxes, the projected date was approaching quickly and they majority of my concerns still had not been addressed. My parents had no idea what school I was going to go to, I did not know if I was going to make any friends and I had no idea if my friendships would continue with my Arizona friends. December 13, 2012, was the day that my family and I drove from Arizona to California, once we crossed the border I began to cry hysterically, because my masked emotions just revealed itself, I broke down and let everything out. When we arrived here in California, we stayed with my uncle for a period of months and then my parents enrolled me into Etiwanda High School, my first day can only be described in one word, serendipity… a happy accident. I eagerly wanted to make friends although I did not necessarily know how to, and so I approached two girls who seemed to be fairly nice, but that was not the case. I quickly realized they had no intentions of being friends with me and I walked away in disappointment. A few minutes later I decided to approach another group of girls and they were polar opposites to the first group of girls, they even invited me to eat lunch with them! Ironically, I am best friends with those group of girls still today. Looking back now on how relentless I was to moving, I regret it, but I do not regret having mixed feelings about it because I was uncertain of the outcome and I wanted assurance. I was so utterly terrified of moving but deep down inside I knew I would do just fine adapting to a new school, and new people. My family had confidence in me and they hoped that by moving I would be exposed to more opportunities by living. By moving I actually realized who my real friends are back in Arizona because they were the ones that no matter how many miles apart we are, we still make an effort in our friendship. Most importantly, I discovered that it is okay to be unsure about the future because sometimes you just have to go wherever the open road leads you.

10 comments:

  1. I love your last sentence. I think all futures are unsure and we just have to live with that. I moved around as well and you're right, it does make you realize who your true friends are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw I liked this a lot! It's funny because I remember you coming into my PE class and you seemed so scared the first day, now I can tell why. I really like the way you discussed how mixed your feelings were and how you dealt with them. Great work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree with your last sentence about impending future. I feel like this is a very relatable topic to us right now because through out our whole lives we have been preparing for the end of high school with relative knowledge as to what this end will bring(for most of us, college), and taking this step in the near future from high school to college, we will have to rediscover our goals and be open to new roads. Great piece!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this piece because by the time I finished reading it I felt slightly more at ease with the idea of moving away for college at the end of this year. You expressed your emotions very well and made good connections with the reader.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This unique story of yours I'm sure will eventually happen us when we are on our way to college. I enjoyed how you shared your feelings at the moment when you were moving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well said. Sometimes the things you dislike at first turn out to be blessings in disguise. Im honestly glad that your transition to both Etiwanda and California have been successful and by the looks of it, you've grown to love it here. The most important part, is that you remain open to changes, even if you have to meet them with a little skepticism. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being open to change, and a new life is great way the live. Things can come your way and you can adapt to those situations and make the best out of it. Liked the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea that we end up accepting things that we originally believed went terribly. I don't think that there's a single human who hasn't come to love something that they initially despised! The obscurity of the future scares us, but we have to take as best as we can. I love the ideas that you brought up, Sienna!

    -Brandon Lim

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was a very comforting read and as someone who's been to quite a few schools I can appreciate your reluctance to move. I'm sorry that it proved to be so difficult for you in the beginning but I'm definitely glad you're here! (I love you)
    -Kayla salas

    ReplyDelete
  10. I felt the same way when I moved from Jamaica to California, that bittersweet feeling of both happiness and nostalgia. I think you expressed your message beautifully. Although you used simple words, it still translated to a level of eloquence and effectiveness. Perhaps my favorite part of your piece was in fact the last sentence. Its so important to realize that we cannot see the future for a reason, and that no matter how we envision it in our heads, it truly never happens to way we want it to. But eventually, everything always works out and we have to have faith in that. Job well done!
    -Pavia Omolewa

    ReplyDelete