Pages


Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Felicia--Loss of Cognitivity

Today, my phone took a lovely plunge into a pool of water. Needless to say, it is currently laying in a bag of brown minute rice, its own sort of deathbed. It is not expected to wake up. In fact, arrangements are already being discussed about a replacement. A rather sad event, I know, quite devastating actually. I find it funny though that what’s worrying me is not the fact that I will probably have no way of hovering around Instagram, which I’m not afraid to admit that I’m pretty addicted to, but the first flash of horror that flooded my mind was the fact that I might lose all my contacts and pictures. Now, this is a seemingly typical worry, and reasonable too, but as it is that I have had no phone access all day, I’ve thought alot about this little detail. My biggest fear, at this very moment, is losing memories and connection to the people I know. Cognitivity. That is the word that I have probably over used more than any other word in my vocabulary this past year. It is one that appears in just about every college essay I’ve written so far, one that I hear at least once every weekend, one that pops into my head just about everyday. It was about four years ago, that I had my first encounter with this word, though I didn’t hear it, I saw it. My grandpa, Papa, as I called him, was a chocolate enthusiast, a lover of plaid flannels, a navy veteran , a perfect airplane impressionist, and the only grandpa I had ever known. He was always old to me with gray hair and thick glasses. But, I saw it slowly. It started with the denters, which ended his chocolate endeavors and his cravings for anything sweet. He didn’t always remember things. I had always seen Papa as the more dominant of my grandparents because my grandma could not hear very well and he was always the one we could communicate with more accurately. But, I started to notice a shift. It seemed sometimes that he was just nodding his head, but didn’t really understand what it was we were saying. It was within the last two years that I really started to notice the changes. I remember my mom getting phone calls at 7 pm from my grandmother. Papa was getting ready for work, though she feverently told him it was not time for work, but time for bed, he wouldn’t listen. He needed to get to work and he would leave without her if he had to. My mom must have spent fifteen minutes arguing with Papa on the phone before he finally gave in and went to bed. Incidents like these became common day events. Dementia. That’s what it came down to. By last December, he had few motor skills. He could smile and laugh, which he never lost, but his ability to make connections, think for himself, and speak his mind, were all gone. It was midwinter break when he was rushed to the hospital after having a breathing fit in bed. They discovered two fractured shoulders, the aftermath of an unknown fall or the possible mishandling of the paramedics in a rush to get him there, we don’t really know. From there to March, he lost his complete mobility. My grandparents had little money, but big bills, and finding money to get him assisted care was impossible. My mom and grandma had to do the majority of it from home. I gained my first experiences and confirmation of my future career as a physical therapist from helping aid his transportation and care. March 18th ,2015, he passed away. Since then, I guess i’ve developed an obsession with cognitivity. It’s such a scary surreal thought to me that at any moment in my life I could lose my memory or even the luxury of thinking. The scarier aspect is that the distinction between having and losing your cognitivity is blurred; you could continue on the rest of your life not even realizing your inability to communicate with other people. It was a painful experience to watch. Now that my grandmother on my other side of the family has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, I am once again going through a similar experience. It probably sounds silly that my phone’s sudden downfall should lead me to reflect on my grandfather's illness, but I think it definitely reveals my current fears, and it is obvious to me why I developed them. I love thinking and I don’t want to ever reach a point in my life when I don’t have that capability. I write so much more now that I’ve considered this in order to preserve my thoughts and memories. The ability to have control over your brain is such a basic characteristic that it took this experience to make me realize how much I appreciate it. In the end, I guess there’s no way of knowing what it’s like to be the one experiencing this change in mental ability. But, what I do know from watching Papa’s ever present smile is that no matter what your brain can or cannot do, the loss of cognitivity cannot take away who you are as a person.

13 comments:

  1. I began to read this and thought it would talk about our dependence on cell phones but this is truly a work of art, the turn you took with your grandpa's life was sad yet at the same time it kind of reminded me that I should spend more time with my grandparents. I send my sympathy out towards you and your family. It was truly beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first I didn't understand the connection between your phone and family but as I finished reading it all made sense, it's crazy to think wee ccould lose our ability to remember memories at any moment, definitely not something I had really thought about

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked the detailed piece and the connections made with your phone and memories, it was very clear and understanding as it demonstrated the importance of using your ability to think and hold memories sense loosing that would be terrifying and it makes it clear that we should always appreciate that ability our brain has.
    -Jennifer R.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After reading this it made me stop and ponder about the great memories 2015 had to offer. Nice job! -Naeomi R.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your story is very touching. You are very strong Felicia. Bless you and your family. Great story

    ReplyDelete
  6. First I'm really sorry about you grandfather. Secondly this piece was really good. It was really deep because you took a common idea (breaking a phone) , something that we as teenagers understand very well, and you connected it to a really deep concept well still tying in one of your own experiences to make it personal and relatable. It short it was amazing and you are a really good writer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The connections between losing your photos and your grandfather connected in the end with the hovering fear of one day reaching a point where we seem to move backwards instead of forwards. Great job and very thought-provoking!
    -Lorena Meza

    ReplyDelete
  8. This piece is beautiful! I love how you opened it in such a casual way, one that is quite relatable to most of us, and then slowly connected it to something very important to you. I think it's wonderful that you "never want to stop thinking!" To vegetate is a waste of our energy and potential! Our ability to interact and connect with people is an amazing thing and I think it's great that you touched upon that topic, especially when we live in a time where we are so addicted to our pieces of technology that we lessen the value of human company.

    - Sam Nugroho

    ReplyDelete
  9. I first thought that this will be about Society's dependence on cell phones and other technology and how it's ruining our brains.... Definitely took another turn. I really liked it, it is very sentimental, and I can see the motivation for you to follow the path to becoming a physical therapist. Good job girl!
    -Oyinda Akinnusi

    ReplyDelete
  10. The connections you made, were very reminiscent of what I've experienced in the past. Your piece was very eloquent and admirable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed the message behind the work. The amount of thought and detail put into this is evident, nicely done Felicia!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! This really makes you stop and think about how much we could lose if we aren't able to think or remember moments in our lives. Keep up the great work!! -Damian Echavarria

    ReplyDelete
  13. The way you place such connotation on the word cognitivity is striking and it was a pleasure to have this little glimpse into your life and thoughts. As always, you inspire me to be a better person Felicia.

    ReplyDelete