Pages


Thursday, October 1, 2015

Myra--Social Rejection

Social Rejection

I didn’t know what judgement was until I entered High School. California in general
seemed like a place for the most beautiful people in the world. I remember the first day of
freshman year, I came wearing a very plain white Tshirt
and all of the other girls around me
were wearing fancy dresses and blouses with loads of makeup and hair done to perfection. That
day was the emergence of my insecurity and shyness, it lasted for three years. The first thing I
noticed was that people immediately gave you a good look upanddown
before deciding how to
respond to your greeting, introducing myself to everyone seemed simple enough, a smile and a
“What middle school are you from” seemed sufficient enough. Some people answered the
question with the same friendly smile I greeted them with and others did not. Moving from such
a small town and small middle school to a suburban town and fairly populated high school was
not easy.The mere fact that there was around nine hundred students in my grade versus the
sixtyeight
at my old school was immensely degrading to my selfesteem.
I never understood the mindset of someone who was distant from people and interaction
when I was in middle school, but in high school I lived it every day. It just seemed as though I
didn’t fit in, no one seemed like they wanted the new and quiet girl in their already established
cliques. This was my first time being the new girl and it was not fun. Watching Disney movies
about high schoolers was not good training and . I always wondered why it made me feel so
worthless and insecure, I wasn’t like this in Las Vegas, I was indifferent towards any hatred
against me. I was content around the people that liked me, others were simply just people around
me and nothing else. I realized that I had not changed at all, I still thought the same way and
acted the same way. What changed is how I thought others were going to be, when I thought
about it, the same type of people that were middle school existed in high school, I just didn’t
know anyone here, so I wasn’t familiar with those types of attitudes and lacked understanding.
Obviously this was naivety, unfortunately that's the blessing that comes with being young. I
finally understood that people are not always going to like me and forcing people to, won’t ever
make their feelings change positively towards me, but possibly make them worse.
I found friends who liked me for who I am and were very similar to me, but I am happy
to say that I am now over it and have more important things to worry about. I must say that this
realization came at a very inconvenient time, when my last year of high school is marking the
end of my journey. This realization however came to me when I was thinking about my future
and starting the path towards the rest of my life. Surviving in this world is inevitably tough, but
the things we are put through in high school, no matter how horrible and heartbreaking they are,
they help us by making us stronger. Resilience is key to strength, without it we are vulnerable to
the harsh reality that is adulthood. Whether or not we enjoy high school, we all have learned
something from it. I did not enjoy high school as much as I wanted to, and I do regret it to an
extent, however, I still learned something and that’s what matters. Thank you high school, for
teaching me that people are people, they come with various pros and cons, and it is healthy to
keep in mind that that the cons might just be more evident than the pros. I am happy with
everything I have learned and with everything I have had to struggle with. When I was in the
eighth grade my health class took a survey on whether we thought we were going to change in
high school, I was the only one in the class that thought I was going to stay the same. I am happy
to say that I have changed since middle school. The perception of the world is not so
“rosecolored”
as I thought it was in middle school, and this perception has made me more
mature and ready for my future. I am still the same person, and I will never change, this is what
makes me different, and sometimes hiding isn’t always the best option.

34 comments:

  1. This is such an important thing for people to learn! I think this piece is really relatable to a lot of us and i really admire the way it was written, I felt like i was in the speakers shoes and i could tap into my own experiences to feel how they did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to this so well, when I was young I'd often move and the transition is much harder than most think. It puts a lot of things into perspective that indeed high school changes all of us, but it really is what we make of it. I'm glad to see that not all of it has been bitter for you, and honestly the future holds things so much greater than what we dwell on. Loved the flow of your writing and thank you for making such a great piece!
    - Alyssa Tandoc, Period 4

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved how the narrator learned a life lesson and how you are also teaching the readers life lessons. This is very eye opening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great work! A lot of us feel out of place upon entering high school and you are definitely not alone. I think this really captures the troubles we face as we adjust to the new things life throws our way.
    -Kayla Salas

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can definitely relate to this, I was also a new girl freshman year and it wan't until six weeks into the year that things started to settle down and I finally met some amazing people that would become my friends, it became easier to be open around them. You're right the truth is that you shouldn't care about what others think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with some of the earlier comments, anyone who has had experiences moving schools no matter the age can certainly relate (I still remember my own experiences vividly); while it's easy to see the world for what it is when your'e an outsider, I certainly believe that it is important to find the silver linings regardless the situation- just as you've done with your piece! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This piece like everyone else has mentioned was very relatable! Freshman year I was completely new to the Chaffey district and didn't know anyone. But having to socialize and make the effort to find friends was in the end very beneficial for someone who's shy like I tend to be. Your growth as an individual is something most, if not all of us face which is a great lesson to share with others. The piece had some grammar errors but you made your point very clear and did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm happy that you feel more comfortable now and that this experience helped you learn a lot about yourself. I really like the thought you put into your reflection at the end. It shows that you're a very mature writer and person. Nice job :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like everyone above me has already said, this piece is extremely relatable. This is almost exactly like what happened to me when I first moved here to Fontana back in the fourth grade. People would stare me down and just judge me because I was the "new kid." Glad that you were able to overcome this and great job putting experiences like these into words that really convey your message. Great job and keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Finally someone can say this upright. I too came from Vegas, and agree in many ways that the vibe was off over the past few years. I know a few other people out here that also came from Sin City who feel the same. I've always thought it really was the whole "I didn't know you in middle school" thing and everyone already had their own cliques but who knows. It's what you make of the matter that really counts, and of course the friends you make along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed this piece because you made it personal and a lot of people can relate to it. I also like how it teaches an important life lesson. Great job :)
    -Kathlyn Juarez

    ReplyDelete
  12. This piece was definitely relatable! Social norms are constantly changing, even the way people associate with each other. Regardless, I'm glad you learned a lot about yourself in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The message you sent was very impactful as you showed the overcoming of adversity. Great grammar and work of literature overall. -Joshua Kidwell

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's always hard to transition from something to familiar to a strikingly different environment . As we get older the perceptions of ourselves and those around us change almost every day.This piece was very intimate, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved how raw this piece was, the emotional implications behind your words was really powerful. It is so great how you opened up to the class it was a pretty brave thing for you to do, and I respect that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the self-exploration you experienced as you learned of all the "bad" you'll find in high school. You were oblivious to the way high school would be and you expected to be different and it to be as easy as previous years. But instead you learned the hard way, and found satisfaction in that, because you made yourself a better person and a more prepared person for the rough future ahead of you and ahead of all of us. I really like the "Resilience is the key to Strength" line, because it sums up your narrative perfectly. Absolutely great work!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your piece actually touched me, and I felt like I could relate to it, maybe not completely but in pieces. I admire your courage in writing this piece, but you'll be affecting more people than you might think.
    -Diana Godinez

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your personal story certainly puts us in your shoes and allows us to understand what you've been through. It is very relatable and also very inspirational. Great Work!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I liked how much I could relate to this. The move makes me feel uncomfortable in my new position but it's true, from these experiences you grow as a person. Good job Myra like how you ended off positively.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your piece showed a new side of yourself that I never would have imagined. It was raw and emotional and I applaud your bravery at sharing such a personal experience. Your writing was strong and easy to follow which is a perfect formula to appeal to your readers' emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your story is both inspiring and uplifting, like a baby eagle rescuing other baby eagles. The first person perspective creates such a strong emotional connection with the audience, and I was on the edge of my seat hoping you'd end up in a better place! Glad to hear you have!
    Congrats on being a shooting star!
    -Chris Trevino 2k15

    ReplyDelete
  22. I had the same experience too! I enjoyed reading this piece because I liked how I can relate to this. Great Job!

    -Sirikanya

    ReplyDelete
  23. Reading this put a smile on my face! Inevitably, acceptance among ones peers is something we all strive for and I loved that you came to the realization that "people are people" complete with different personalities. Although it took a lot of hardships and loads of soul-searching I admire the fact that you came to an important realization and are content with it. This is definitely something we can all learn from. Job well done!
    -Pavia Omolewa

    ReplyDelete
  24. I loved it! Great job Myra,and I love your positive attitude. Continue to love life darling!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really enjoyed this piece because I found it very relatable to what I experienced back in middle school. I was a transfer so on my first day of middle school I saw none of my old friends but all these new faces. However, these new faces already had their established friend groups and social circles so like you I had trouble. It was an interesting read and it allowed me to see the difference between your experience and mine. Good Job!
    -Jeremiah Eugenio

    ReplyDelete
  26. Inspiring piece that states that the trials, tribulations and pain gives you the experience that builds you up as a person that is strong in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  27. every freshman has had that seinor during that rally who said to you, "you don't belong here"

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your story was quite compelling and I even found it relatable. High school in itself is an environment that sort of promotes judgement, but after experiencing hardships in friendships, I found it easier to reflect on how far I've come as well. Years from now, this will be nothing but a memory.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love how truthful and raw you are with your essay.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I remember my first day at a new school, didn't know a single person. I liked it because it was nice it made reflect on my own expericnce moving and I know some have different stories but we felt the same being new.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I like how this piece because its a life lesson learned

    ReplyDelete
  32. While I was reading I almost wanted to cry because I could feel how genuine you were while telling your story and I think that is something to be super proud of because I think as a writer that can be difficult to do sometimes. I can relate to your story because I also moved during my high school years and it was a tough challenge to overcome I am glad you have found your great friends and feel comfortable enough to come out of your shell :-)
    -Sienna Carbajal

    ReplyDelete
  33. RAW!! I LOVE IT! Nowadays its hard to find a piece as genuine as this.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your piece is a great way to show other people they're not alone.
    -Diana Godinez

    ReplyDelete