Pages


Monday, October 26, 2015

Christa

There’s a beauty in nature that seems almost too vast to explain to others. In Southern California we have beaches that are 2 hours away, and Big Bear the same distance. I’ve found that the place with beauty so astounding to me is much farther away, where the air is clean and the beauty is insurmountable. This past summer in the beginning of June, I went camping for the 2nd time in the Sierra Mountains. The drive there was 5 hours of a mostly desolate road full of desert the first half of the trip, and pastures filled with cows and horses the second. The sky was clear, which seemed an almost foreign aspect to behold considering the mountains we see in our backyard everyday seem to be filled with a constant grey haze. As we got closer to our campsite the familiar anticipation I felt all year returned, it was finally the day I have looked forward to since I got home from our last trip. June Lake is a place unlike any other that I’ve been too, its lakes are a dark navy with little white peaks, the mountains jagged with waterfalls sporadically throughout. On the road in, it was nearing dusk when we saw deer on the sides of the road, acting almost like greeters. Passing through the town full of gift shops and coffee shops I realized with the windows rolled down that, it was much colder than last July. Smoky skies and cold winds made white waves roll on the lake's surface disrupting the calm water I was expecting. The prospect of sleeping in tents in such weather made some weary, yet I couldn’t help but be full of excitement. After living in Southern California my whole life, the idea of having any sort of ‘cold’ weather made me brazen enough to gladly stay outside and not move to the Jeep. That first night, much like the rest had an average temperature of º35 with winds rocking the tent back and forth and water clinging to the red material of our tent. Nights were almost completely obscure, save for the occasional light of the moon peeking through the clouds. Animals rustled in the bushes and the ground squirrels ran across the meadow close to our tent. By morning the chill in the air still remained and the wind still blew in steady gusts. We lacked any set plans for the duration of our trip, leaving us free to do what we wished with our days. The boys fished from early dawn till the afternoon, while the rest of us lazed around the campsite reading and occasionally walking around the campgrounds. I can still smell the smoke from the campfire and hear the remnants of the guitar playing softly in the background from our evening dinners. One morning we decided that we would visit Yosemite National Park seeing as my sisters never been. Now if you’ve ever gone to Yosemite through Tioga pass you’ll know that some parts of the road seem like an imminent fall to the ground thousands of feet below. Now add to that, actual snow along the road and the fog that almost completely blocks out any visibility of cars in front of you, it was a bit daunting. After a certain point, we’d passed through the gate and the fog cleared to misty mountains with white peak tops. Then after driving through the road full of tall trees we could see Half Dome, and I remember thinking that this must be what home felt like. The prospect of being around a place that I knew to have so much beauty was poignant. It occurred to me that this anticipation I’ve felt all year, just to come back to this place had much more meaning behind than to just ‘get away’. This trip marks the time I get to spend with family that I don’t get to see as often as I did before. These trips that we have are full of belly aching laughter, with tears roll down our faces as we gasp for breath. Playing games of cards and listening to Bob Marley on repeat, with jokes filling the quiet air. Nothing compares to this experience I have, not even when I’m back in Fontana. Nothing is able to compete against waking up to clear air and the sounds of waterfalls in the distance, waiting to be hiked to. This place I’ve decided to call my second home is where I find inspiration, where I learn new things about myself that are free from the influence of others. Here in these big vast mountains, with the snow caps and the lake, I am free to just be. Which is something I think everyone should experience, whether it be the mountains, the sea, or even a big city. We all deserve to lose ourselves for a while, just so we can put ourselves back together with new memories and new dreams. Surround yourself with the beauty around you, and you’ll find that it’ll begin to shine within you.

33 comments:

  1. Such an amazing description of the place I love to call home. I enjoyed your use of imagery and sense hope to see more pieces like this on the blog

    -David Tucker

    ReplyDelete
  2. The happiness you attain from what most think is the simple beauty of nature is truly something I wish I had. I know I appreciate nature however, maybe not as much as I should so to see it from someone else's point of view is quite nice. The way you described everything seemed so calm and peaceful that it made me feel the later as well. The last few sentences are especially inspiring so thank you for making such a wonderful piece.
    - Alyssa Tandoc, Period 4

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also take comfort in the outings with my own family and can relate to the feelings you describe. I hope that I'll have the opportunity someday to go where you've gone and it brightens my outlook to witness others with similar feelings and treasured experiences. The personal information and the way it's told, like you're telling a close friend, made me feel pretty special, that I get to hear this wisdom and grow from it. Also, I absolutely must comment on your last line, "Surround yourself with the beauty around you, and you'll find that it'll begin to shine within you." You should get that patented... unless it's already patented... It's a very powerful message and I think it serves as a good conclusion. If you wish to better your writing, then I'd suggest working on punctuation and maybe some rewording to enhance the flow, but in respect to the overall, a really enjoyable read and descriptive writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also enjoy the outdoors going to places such as Mammoth Lakes, Big Bear, or Lake Tahoe although I've never been to Yosemite park. The emotions you describe in the work are amazing and gives such a great perspective of what its like out in nature... at least the positive side. lol! I thought the piece was great! keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed this personal narrative. I can really relate to your feelings that you described in this piece. Also the imagery that you used was really great and overall this was a beautiful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spectacular! Christa you described your loving home so wonderfully and honestly made me want to go here even more than i already do! YOU GO BEST FRIEND! THAT'S MY BEST FRIEND!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like that you talked about your own experiences with beauty and then left the reader thinking about what they find beautiful. I love the mountains, but also the beaches, but also big cities, and you inspired me to write about where I feel calm and where I can easily lose myself. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is wonderfully honest and open and I love that it feels so raw and passionate. Reading it, my heart filled with a familiar sense of wanderlust that seems to pervade my thoughts recently and I commend you on the fact that your piece is the first one I've read that actually struck a strong emotional chord with me. Your imagery is fantastic and I feel like I'm right there in those mountains. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I truly liked how the character's love for nature was visible in her words as he was very detailed and descriptive of the nature surrounding her in the trip, the imagery was very strong it allowed the reader to understand the serenity of her tone as she would continue describing the beauty of the place and the love she had towards it. I loved that she considered it her second home because it created a good family environment unlike Fontana that didn't create the same emotions as that place.
    -Jennifer Rodriguez

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is so easy in this day and age to be wrapped up with our lives that we too often neglect to consider the immense beauty found in nature. The way you described your home and your personal relations to it really connected with me. Great Job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lovely vocabulary to go with such beautiful sights; great work! You can really feel as a reader that you're on this trip with you, and to view nature so beautifully is reminiscent of reading "Walden" junior summer. I like this piece far better than I did Walden, though. :^)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how you wrote about your own experiences with nature, I found it very relatable and thought it was really good. I love reading about other students enjoyments. Great job!
    -Celeste Martinez

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very well written, and the piece has a palpable organic flow to it, like a cascading waterfall of words. Very legit. I also felt that mentioning the cows and squirrels humanized your narrative, and it seemed as if the forest creatures were inviting me into your whimsical world of nature.
    -Christopher Trevino

    ReplyDelete
  14. Makes me appreciate the beauty of the surrounding environment. Your descriptive narration helps put the reader in your shoes. Great Work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This piece reminds me of the novel "Walden" because it has such a naturalistic point of view about everything which is quite beautiful. -Brian rojas

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great job! Despite some punctuation and wording errors, the underlying message hit me clearly. Continue to see life this way, it is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful piece. The imagery is charming which certainly adds to the feeling of serenity and peace. Beautiful work!
    -Jerelle Medina

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow this is so nice. Lots of information you have. I like it.
    -Anita Kong

    ReplyDelete
  19. The way you described your emotions and the way you feel about going the places you've gone with the people you love was the best. I too take comfort in my family. We could simply just be sitting in the couch joking around and it's as if my worries have dissapeared. Loved this peice! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Its how certain place and moments anchor in our mind, I always wonder if it was the location, the people, or a combination of both. I have never been to the Sierra Mountains but your memories of the location make it sound lovely. Thank you for your submission

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the amount of detail in this piece. I can make a general picture of the surrounding and it looks beautiful. Its so amazing that you decided to share something so important and passionate to you so that others could one day experience what you've seen and felt
    -Emmanuel Huntspon

    ReplyDelete
  22. I enjoyed the piece especially because of the vivid imagery. it really helped me feel like I was there and how peaceful and serene the setting must of been. I loved your piece keep up the great work!
    -Jeremiah Eugenio

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love how most of your details of what you'd do at the campsite are relatable to things I'd do, just worded in brilliant ways. Reading I almost felt like it could've been a memory. Good job
    -Ethan Donnelly

    ReplyDelete
  24. BEAUTIFUL! Reading this made me think about what i find beautiful in nature, Your use of imagery really allowed me to be in the moment as I was reading.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This piece was great ! I absolutely loved the way you talked about the place you call your second home! This made me really want to go camping and smell the nice fresh air that we don't have here. Overall great piece! -Aylin Veloz

    ReplyDelete
  26. This piece makes me appreciate our own setting even more! We're not that far from the forests or mountains or the ocean, so we're just so lucky we have a variety of nature that we can go enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  27. such great description and imagery. one of m favorites

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think this piece is so beautify detailed and it just completely amplifies the importance of nature and family. Personally, I think we all get so used to our surroundings that we forget to appreciate real nature. It's all about the little things and this piece did an excellent job of show casing that. Also, I loved the way you used conatny grey haze to describe our cities pollution totally agree with you on that one. Great job!
    -Brittany Hackney p.3

    ReplyDelete
  29. Travel and exploration can be an invigorating experience, especially when you're accustomed to a routines lifestyle. Your story highlighted values from nature that I often disregard, but I am now inspired to find my own peace in a new place.

    ReplyDelete
  30. You really capture the environment by using very descripive words. It almost takes me there and lets me see it for my self. Good job.
    -Sean Monsalve

    ReplyDelete
  31. this is beautiful and very detail but one thing the words that are misspell.

    ReplyDelete
  32. You had describe every thing you did and explain what happen good job.

    ReplyDelete
  33. You had describe every thing you did and explain what happen good job.

    ReplyDelete