Pages


Friday, January 27, 2017

"...this was Icarus drowning"--Andy

July, 2016.
Santa Ana metrolink station. Sun’s bright.
I’m out on the bench, in the sweltering sun, waiting for the bus to UC Irvine,
thumbing my worn copy of Montaigne’s Essays.
“An old Greek proverb says that men are afflicted by their ideas of things, not by the
things themselves…”
Yes, I thought - perception matters.
I look up. An old lady, nicely dressed, hobbles around the bus station. She’s carrying
not only her handbag, but also a bag of cherries - ripe black cherries.
She goes around the station, to strangers bent-double over their phones, and asks
“would you like so me cherries?” She receives death-glares in return.
“Another person down on her luck, probably due to poor life choices, and who
probably just wants some attention” I thought, and looked back down.
“... for if the ills of life enter into us only through our judgement, it would seem to be
in our power to despise them, or to turn them to good...”
Yes, I thought - we’re all ultimately responsible for our own happiness.
I look back up.
To my great horror, the crazy little old lady walks towards me. She sits down on the
empty side of the bench.
“It’s a fine day today - care for some cherries? They’re so sweet!”
No thanks, I say. Never acce pt food from strangers. I make a valiant, but pathetic
attempt to scoot away.
But she continues. “I’m on the way to the DMV to renew my driving licence - the
court told me to, because this damn bipolar disorder! For years they didn’t let me
drive.”
Silence.
The whirring sound of my inner cranial gears. “Oh, okay.”
“Where are you going?”
I hesitate, but spoke honestly. “I’m going to UC Irvine, to visit a Cell Biology lab. I
love biology.”
“You must be a bright young man…. You know, I had children like you. A girl, and a
boy who's your age. He’s valedictorian at his high school, but -”
I see her eyes well with tears.
“- but - he refuses to call me ‘Mom!’ He thinks that I’m just a freakin’ wreck of a
person!”
She starts sniffling, starts choking on her tears, but doesn’t stop.
“I’m still going to court against my boyfriend - about how he used to be mean to me
and sometimes would hit me, and then he left me! And he always did drugs! I told
him to stop but he couldn’t! I knew how dangerous they were because I grew up
using them, but he just wouldn’t stop!”
She grasps my hands tightly. I could feel her hands shaking violently, but then I
looked at mine, feeling her pain, and thought how I wouldn’t have the fortitude to
endure such things, either.
I thought of what I’ve read about the Buddha - a pampered prince, in a stately
pleasure-dome decree, banished from suffering, aside from the occasional scratch or
bruise.
Gets bored - sneaks out the palace, into the busy marketplace: all’s fun and games.
But then, lo and behold, an old man, wheezing, wrinkly, ugly, barely able to walk
upright.
A sick person, afflicted with God knows what - Plague? Cholera? Typhoid-fever? -
lying on the floor, wasting his life away.
(My foster dad tells me of his experience volunteering at a busy city hospital,
changing soiled diapers for distinguished professors and jazz artists and
businessmen who are reduced to a pile of intracerebral hemorrhage and cancer and
fecal incontinence - of what use is intelligence, talent, here?)
Then, the stench of rotting corpses - the hollow-faced mortal coils of men who lived
and loved and enjoyed pleasures and suffered pains. Sic transit gloria mundi:
memento mori.
Perhaps, I, too, growing up in a fairly well-to-do Taiwanese family with protective
parents and going to a nice high school and having lots of friends - should take a
sobering stroll out of my palace, too.
“I used to say there was no God, but now I do. He protects me! I know he’s on my
side when I argue in court! It’s like - it’s like - the armor of God! He’s always on my
side - I feel it!”
The bus arrives. I help her on the bus.
“You’re a nice young man!” she says. I blush.
On the bus, we talk about better days.
“Where are you from?” she asks.
“Near San Bernadino,” I reply.
“Oh, San Bernardino! Isn’t that near Big Bear? My father would always take us up
there to boat, or go snowboarding there!”
We talk about life, we talk about faith, we talk about friends. She spills the contents
of her bag over the seat trying to dig out a faded picture of her and a few friends from
the 80’s.
“How good is it to be friends, to have friends, to love your neighbor as yourself,” she
sighs.
Soon, her stop arrives. I help her gather up her spilt belongings - licenses, papers, lip
balm. “Thank you, young man.”
“God bless you,” I suddenly said - not out of devotion, but out of compassion. I’m not
religious, but I knew that God must have meant a lot to her, keeping her going
through those dark days.
“God bless you too.”
As she steps off, as the bus doors close, as the scenes of Irvine speed past me, I think
about the way of equanimity and the way of compassion, how we need to strike a
balance between knowing that we’re all responsible for our own happiness, and
recognizing the immense suffering that many experience on a daily basis.
I think of nibbida - disenchantment - we may live to pursue happiness, but which
will-o'-the-wisp shall we chase after?
Now, as youth, we may pride ourselves in our physical prowess, vitality, health, think
ourselves invincible gods - but what do we do when these glories fade and we bleed
our lives away into tubes, when family and friends and loves go, and die, or worse,
betray and weigh you down?
When materialism and being #1 and douce memories can’t save you, and you’re
confronted with your mortality, and infinite capacity to suffer - when not even faith,
belief, ideology, when they verge on self-deception, may ease your pains, what can?
What is beautiful, I do not know, and there’s so much to let go, to see through and
become disillusioned with, in our happiness-seeking endeavours, as we look past
superficial, fleeting - imperfect enjoyments, and reach on for more fulfilling,
substantive ones.
Am I ready for this? I don’t know.
And then, I felt a tear rolling down my face.

23 comments:

  1. Wow! This was a great story, it just opened up a new way of looking at life and other people. It really makes me want to do better in life mainly because I'm scared of everything you stated in the last two paragraphs.
    -Matthew Jimenez

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy, this such an amazing piece, normally I read these and don't feel quite captivated by them emotionally or capable of reading them enthusiastically, but this honest to God feels like it is part of a famous novel or autobiography. I felt what you felt for the old lady, I felt the conflict within yourself, I felt sympathy and rekindled my empathetic nature I feel I have recently lost. This piece honestly moved me in light of recent events, such great writing, I ENCOURAGE EVERYONE TO READ THIS EVEN THOUGH ITS LONG.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd really like to commend you on your writing style. This piece's mix of simplicity and complexity, structurally and topically, really made it an enjoyable read. I think it's one of the best I've read thus far. The POV and subtle message in the personal narrative make it particularly powerful. Amazing job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andy, this was very thoughtful and incredibly well written. You used so much imagery that I could clearly envision every part of the story. Thank you for sharing the insight you made that day :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andy, where do I start... You never cease to amaze me. I have always adored your unique writing style. I didn't miss your allusion to the imperfect enjoyment. Overall this is an amazing peace.
    -Kailah O'Brien

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andy I really enjoyed this piece. Not just the way your piece flowed, but also how its incredible language. I can see this piece being based on a true experience and if it is I praise you for expressing these thoughts to the readers. The message here is very deep and I was definitely moved and enlightened by your thoughts and opinions on the matter. Overall, incredible job as always Andy! And yes I agree, there will always be an Imperfect Enjoyment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I admire your use of allusions and specific terms such as "the Buddha", "nibbida", "Sic transit gloria mundi: memento mori.", "Icarus", etc"; I actually had to google some of these terms and allusions! This piece not only demonstrates your breadth of knowledge and wisdom, but your ability to articulate these into a piece. You definitely will be writing more pieces like this in the future and I would not be surprised to see your name on a bestseller in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I think I just tend to unconsciously (well, more like semi-consciously) drop things into my writing per free association.

      By the way, because you asked (and I didn't explain it well enough) the title is a quote from a poem by William Carlos Williams (Text here: http://english.emory.edu/classes/paintings&poems/williams.html), which is in turn about a 16th century painting now in a museum in Belgium (Here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landscape_with_the_Fall_of_Icarus).
      The painting itself deals quite interestingly with human suffering and how we tend to turn a blind eye to it (as you notice, Icarus' legs are sticking out of the sea in the corner of the painting as he drowns, but nobody else in the painting seems make any conscious attempt to save him, or even at the least notice him), so I just decided to refer to it as another little allusion to see if anyone would happen to look it up.

      Delete
  8. This piece felt like something I would read on a scholarly news article on how we perceive our lives and the meaning behind what is moral and good. Your narrative of this event really brings out the emotion in us and makes us reflect on what truly makes us human beings. Brilliant writing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Andy. As I was reading this, I didn't realize that I was holding my breath until I got to the very end (I know that's a cliche a lot of people say, but really, it's true). Your writing is full of such depth and insight, it's so beautifully written and thoughtful, and that's not something I personally see a lot with teenage writers. We try to be deep and though-provoking, and it's easy to see that sometimes we try too hard, but it's the opposite with this piece. Your writing is so incredibly honest. My favorite post on this blog ever. Thank you, Andy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was beautifully written. The ideas that you brought up,like compassion, generosity, morals and beliefs, they all connected so well. Your writing was so amazing I am lost for words. It's hard to come up with anything to say because I am so shocked and bewildered by this piece that I can't think of anything concrete to say because it was just so beautiful! This is one the best pieces I have ever read, you did an outstanding job.
    -Ethan To

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved this piece Andy! Sometimes we find ourselves in extremely unexpected situations that make us stop to think about the bigger picture. I am really glad you decided to share your experience and your thoughts on it. I enjoyed the way you structured your writing and believed it forced readers to rethink their own perspectives and open up to new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really impressive writing. Your ability to portray your speakers internal struggles is what makes the piece. The structure and syntax is really well constructed makes it an interesting read!! -Vanessa Lai

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done, Andy. Enjoyable piece, much more complex and developed than I expect from most pieces here. The dialogue flows very well, and you manage to work in plenty of references/allusions to interesting people and ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I'll admit that I actually had some reservations about using dialogue (I tend to think I'm more of a arguer who still barely manages to keep his thoughts together than a story-teller), and I think this is probably the first time I've ever used dialogue in quite a while, so I'm glad the result turned out to be just above readable. :)

      Delete
  14. Andy! This was really well written and I enjoyed reading it. I don't think that I could ever have the confidence to partake in an experience like this, and I'm glad that you took the time to share it with everyone. I think that by far this piece was by far my favorite this month. It kind of goes along with the idea that old people tend to have the most interesting stories and experiences and insights. I really liked your writing skills. This was an amazing piece. Good job Andy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. First, I would like to complement your style. The way you can write so vividly, and distinct makes for a truly compelling read. The split of you reading your essays and your train of thought being interrupted, by this woman and you attempting to continue reading was truely well executed. Your piece highlights, I believe a sense of what is missing from our current social interactions. The normalization of small talk as the epitome of a decent conversation contrast how you have written your conversation with this woman. Just great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been taught that there are only 2 types of "true friends" - "true" as being defined as able to actually edify you: either someone who is always supportive of you, but will unhesitatingly and honestly point out your flaws, or someone who is admirable and from whom you can learn from.
      So, not much room for small-talk here.

      Well, I guess that's how we are. Most friends we make for entertainment and droll diversion, and they tend to leave us once we are no longer a source of fresh entertainment, or get all fidgety when things get "personal."
      While entertainment and being able to sustain a conversation is a valuable art in itself, we really can't get much out of it.

      I'll admit that I rarely connect with many people, especially in conversation. Eventually, I find that the only thing I can really talk about sustainedly with them is school, ("How's Lofgren going?" "Oh, don't worry, I didn't understand a thing when Morrison was doing convergent series and I got a 77 on that test"), before I get pooped out and resort to stuffing the earbuds blaring Lully's Armide into my ears to avoid the dreaded awkward silence.

      It could be because I function so differently (If, of course, you count not being able to mentally take the square root of 81, remember names, tell left from right, or stay awake in AP Calculus last year "functional"), or because of my esoteric interests (I have yet to meet anyone physically who shares my interest in 17th century pipe organs in the German state of East Frisia), or just because I'm an utterly boring person who doesn't obsess over sports, is mentally incapable of recognizing names and faces in movies, knows nothing about any music written after 1750, and, when it comes to video games, has only played the chrome T-rex game.

      But well, great to consider. In the world of facebook and twitter and 140-character limits, is there still room for deeper social interactions? Screw the naysayers and cynics and the golden-agers: methinks duh!

      Delete
  16. Your writing was very unique and I really liked seeing your introspection. Awesome job Andy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a fantastic piece! The way you structured it makes the story easy to follow and understand, which is great because there is so much to this piece! The emotion is fully present, and your vivid imagery and descriptions really bring it out, and your questions about what truly is the root of happiness make the reader think after reading it. Thanks for sharing!
    -Christopher Kerwin

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm SHOOK. This story is so flipping amazing and I want to read it again and I think that realizing what other people go through (just as you did in the story) is so empowering and opens the eyes of any individual to what the world really is

    ReplyDelete
  19. This story was so beautiful to read, great job with the emotions connected to this piece. it just makes me question all the great stories I might have missed by not taking the bus or keeping to myself on the bus rides I have taken. wonderful work Andy, loved it!

    Ishrat Khan

    ReplyDelete
  20. Andy this is magnificent in every way and has intense depth. I greatly admire how pensive and introspective this piece causes the reader to be about the nuances of their own life and little things that we may, by mere propensity, take for granted. This piece really resonates with the reader due to the exquisite diction and syntax as well as the somewhat latent messages evoked throughout. Overall, you did a splendid job and I enjoyed this piece very much. It is honestly one of the best I have read.

    ReplyDelete