Pages


Thursday, October 20, 2016

“Querer es poder” or “ Wanting is doing"--Anissa

There’s this saying that my mother would always tell my siblings and I, “Querer es poder” or “
Wanting is doing. She believed that if anything is achievable as long as you’re determined to
reach your goal. My mother would often tell us how lucky we were to be born U.S citizens and
that we should be proud of the fact that we are Mexican- American. I always considered myself
to be the perfect blend of both cultures because I would listen to both Britney Spears and
Selena Quintanilla on repeat during my childhood. Last Summer, My mother shared the news
that she was finally going to become a U.S citizen after being a Resident Alien for many years.
Her birthplace was Tijuana, Mexico and she came to the U.S during her adolescence in the 80s.
Her life growing up was completely different from mine as not many opportunities were available
to her. About a month after her announcement, she received a packet of questions and a
corresponding CD in the mail. I read the packet, which included 100 questions and answers and
realized that she was going to be taking the Civics test in about a month. The Civics test is an
oral exam in which an applicant, like my mom would be asked 10 out of the 100 questions in the
packet by a USCIS officer. For the next month, my mother was studying for the exam rather
intensely. Honestly, she looked like she was part of a training montage from the movie “Rocky”.
Car rides consisted of listening to the exam review CD and quizzing her on everything about the
U.S from “Why are there 50 stars on the American flag?” to “ Name at least 3 U.S national
holidays”. School eventually started again and in U.S history, I learned about Ellis Island, the
first place that the immigrants set foot in the U.S. During that chapter, I thought about my
mother’s life. She left Mexico in hopes to make a better life for my siblings and I. The first school
that I ever attended was a private, Catholic school near West Covina. It was led by nuns and
was filled with many rules and regulations. Despite the fact that my family isn’t that religious, my
mother insisted in entering me at this school so that I would have an education and morals that
I would be proud of. She would drive me to softball practice at the park, stay up late to help me
with my homework, and always help me with my Spanish. I can honestly say that I have a lot of
pressure put on me. None of my parents had the opportunity to go to a university and I’ll be the
first in my intermediate family to have a college degree. She would always tell me to be proud of
who I am and that I shouldn’t change anything about myself in order to be popular. My mother
became a U.S citizen in September, 2016 and passed the Civics exam with flying colors. I used
to dislike my middle name when I was younger because I thought it was unoriginal for her first
name to be my middle name. Honestly, I'm now proud to be named after my mother because
she's is able to have the determination to accomplish her goals.

11 comments:

  1. This is such an inspirational piece! My mom constantly reiterates this phrase every time she notices I'm struggling with something. This really made me realize how our parents are so important and we may not always give them as much credit as they deserve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! your mom is such an inspirational and hard working person. I would be so proud to be related to her and carry her name with mine also. I cannot imagine how difficult it would be to relocate myself to a new area and be an outsider but your mom did it and with great intentions. This helped me realize how much we neglect to thank our parents and show appreciation towards them for everything they do to give us the best life possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so inspirational! I know not a lot of people think about how immigrants feel and how it affects their kids. People born here don't have to think about the Civics test, since our citizenship is automatic, and I think we don't realize how hard it can be. I can tell you really love your mom, and how much her courage has impacted you. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a child of Filipino immigrants, this piece really gets to me because I often tend to forget that my parents had a much tougher life than I. I remember all the times I disobeyed my parents and argued with them thinking I knew better, but now I realize that they go through so much so that I can have a better life. On another note, I remember helping my grandma with her US civics exam and there were some pretty tough questions that I actually had to think about haha. But anyways, good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always assumed that my morher's life was just as similar as mine is before I realized the hardships that she faced before coming to the U.S. After she became a citizen, I realized how determined she actually was.

      Delete
  5. I really liked your piece! It was very inspirational and it brought about a respect for your mother and what she had done for you. I liked how you highlighted the way she helped you. I could really sense your appreciation as you talked about her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This story is so inspiring! I cannot imagine what it would be like to have to leave your home country and move somewhere that is brand new. This made me think about how sometimes I take what I have for granted and how I need to show more appreciation for what I have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this piece! sometimes I forget how grateful I am for having this life and then remember that there people out there who would rather be in my place. People like your mother are truly inspirational!-Martina Panganiban

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anissa!! This piece was so great! After reading it, I couldn't stop smiling. You send such an empowering and positive message through this work. My mom moved to the US from Mexico also, so I can understand the admiration you feel for your mom. She sounds like a great role model and person! Thanks for sharing this part of your story with us, great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading my story!! Initially, I wasn't sure if my mom's story would connect with people, but your mom came from Mexico as well.

      Delete
  9. I really love this piece because I can relate very strongly with it. At least half of my family are still immigrants to this day and I personally believe that they are more productive members of society than some of the people born here. Unfortunately, they have never been given such an opportunity but I know that if they did, our entire family would probably party like there is no tomorrow to honor the hard work and the success of wanting something so badly that it becomes reality.

    ReplyDelete