Pages


Thursday, October 20, 2016

Enlightenment--Ethan


The word “enlightenment” has been seen throughout the history of the world, in various shapes and forms. During the 18th century, thinkers and philosophers believed that this word was defined as “reason” which led them to change the course of history forever. Romanticists and transcendentalists believed that it meant finding your “true self” And the meaning of enlightenment in Buddhism probably has the most complex meanings. In some cases it means “pure and unqualified knowledge” or “state of perfect knowledge combined with infinite compassion.” But according to Buddhism, to achieve this type of enlightenment, one must detach themselves from the Earth to relieve themselves from earthly possessions thus ending their own self-suffering and gaining a new and unbiased perspective. Although detachment is essential to achieving “enlightenment” there is a contradiction within the Buddhist definition. To be detached from the earthly possessions means that one does not have feelings for such things, yet one must also be compassionate towards other people. But how? Both are required to be “enlightened” yet both are almost opposites of each other. The overall goal of enlightenment is end suffering and ignorance but in reality, that is not possible. Suffering and ignorance are just natural characteristics of the world and cannot be stopped. The true goal is to relieve the pain as quickly as possible to prevent any further damage and that can be done through sympathy.
            In reality, to alleviate suffering and ignorance one must have infinite sympathy for every living thing, not just infinite knowledge, compassion, and detachment in general. No one in the entire history of the world can attain perfect knowledge so right off the bat, the standard definition has flaws. Even if somehow, someone, obtained all the knowledge in the world, it is completely useless if it cannot be applied, and compassion, even though can be used in concert with knowledge, cannot be achieved if one must also be detached. The current definition of enlightenment, although makes sense on paper, cannot be achieved in reality. If everyone had sympathy and understanding of everyone’s perspective, however, a mutual ground can be created and conflicts could be solved. Everyone would have happiness in their life, and there would be less ignorance and suffering in the world. So how does one achieve this infinite sympathy? It does simply grow on trees and cannot be grabbed from thin air. It must be learned and attained. To achieve infinite sympathy, one must go through essentially infinite suffering themselves or just a significant amount of suffering in general. By going through pain such as a death of a loved one, suffering such as break ups with friends or significant others, one gains experience in life and knowledge of the reality of the world. As the common saying goes “what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger” so in this case, the damage a person receives makes them more knowledgeable and it gives them more sympathy. The wisdom and experience gained from this journey of unpleasantness is very much applicable to people in real life compared to the Buddhist definition. If a person is going through their own journey, one can use their knowledge to comfort them. Then they can use their experience and so on and so on. This will become and infinite cycle and it will spread thus making the world an infinitely better place. So, the true definition of enlightenment is not infinite knowledge and compassion. It is infinite sympathy gained through self-suffering and pain.

12 comments:

  1. I love how you challenge the preconception of enlightenment and give it your own meaning which proves to be quite accurate and knowledgeable! Absolutely love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was very interesting. I wonder if it is possible to achieve enlightenment with the old or new definition. Our knowledge and the knowledge itself is constantly growing as well as the process of experiences people suffer through. I wonder if the purpose of these definitions is to show that we should try to obtain enlightenment throughout our lives, as its impossible to achieve an infinite of something, and grow alongside enlightenment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This really rattles my brain. I admire how you took the word "enlightenment" and broke it down and dissected it so that it now means the combination of "knowledge" and "sympathy." I see that you put in a lot of effort researching the term because you mentioned the Romanticists and Buddhism. I agree that only pain and suffering can truly allow people to develop sympathy but then it makes me wonder whether there will ever be true peace. I highly doubt it because people will need to suffer to develop this sympathy and people naturally want to have more and be better than others. But regardless, excellent piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It took me a couple of hours to research and plan my ideas, and after writing I hated it, but now I feel better about it. And I think there may never be true peace, but this idea can guide our way to a brighter future so if we cannot have complete serenity, we can at least have a slightly diluted form of it.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed this piece because it offered a new insight on how to pursue my own path to enlightenment. I agree that society will never truly achieve enlightenment, although it is interesting to think about. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was very interesting. I never really understood the the meaning of enlightenment, but you have now truly enlightened me. In fact, after reading your perception of the definition of the word, I realized that you are actually correct. I especially found interest in the way you expressed how infinite sympathy can only be reached after experiencing infinite suffering. The way you supported your statement certainly attracted me to your meaning. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! After writing this I honestly wondered if anyone would know what I was talking about but I'm glad that some people understood what I was trying to get across.

      Delete
  6. This really made me think. I never really thought about the meaning of enlightenment, just that it was something to live up to. But now that you've broken it down, it is easy to see that the original definitions are problematic and essentially unattainable for the average human being. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This piece made me really think. I am intrigued by your view of enlightenment and the other definitions of it. Your knowledge of this subject really shows and It makes me want to explore to topic as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As I was reading, I could clearly follow your thought process. I love how you crafted your own unique definition of enlightenment, and challenged old school thought. Great work!
    -Jordan Lee

    ReplyDelete
  9. This, I like this. I think your definition of enlightenment is the perfect goal for everyone to strive and I thank you for bringing it to attention that this is what true enlightenment should be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This piece had my head spinning by, like, the fourth sentence, but in a good way! I really admire how much thought you put into a subject as complex and intriguing as enlightenment, and you brought up aspects of it I've never even thought of before. Great job Ethan (:

    ReplyDelete