Pages


Thursday, October 20, 2016

Fear In Literature--Joey

Frankie woke up with a surge of adrenaline. They didn’t remember falling asleep in the
library but that was typical during weeks 9 and 10 of the quarter. It was difficult balancing their
work and school schedule while still sleeping. Their hardest class this quarter was a writing
workshop entitled Fear in Literature. Frankie didn’t want to take the class but she needed more
hours at work and the course fit the schedule.
Frankie’s fingers traced their hairline, hoping to alleviate the painful migraine. They
closed their eyes for a moment, the dull clinical lights in the library didn’t seem to help the pain.
When their eyes had adjusted, Frankie noticed the quiet. The library was empty. Their eyes
scanned the room for a clock. “3AM”. Frankie searched for their phone in their pocket to
confirm. Their spine grew soft and breathing accelerated as the seconds and minutes flew bystill
no sign of the of the phone, still stuck in the hardwood library chair. Adrenaline seeped back
into their muddied-red bloodstream, they felt the pump of substance in their extremities. Heart
still racing, Frankie looked back at the clock. “3:33 AM”. They grabbed a single Jansport and
laptop and ran to the unoccupied librarian’s desk. The air around the desk was rancid; it made
standing nearby impossible to stomach. Frankie tuned into a hum that hadn’t stopped since she
had woken up. Between Postmodern poetry and Renaissance Philosophy stood a janitor wielding
a floor buffer. His face was buried in a hooded fleece jacket and his focus remained intent on his
task. As Frankie approached, the smell returned; and with each step the Janitor seemed to grow
taller. Mere feet away, they noticed a viscous puddle that was the object of the janitor’s attention.
The buffer was doing a terrible job of cleaning the mess- instead, whipping the viscera around
and spitting it all over the books, creating a monochromatic Jackson Pollock.
No, Frankie had enough. Sprinting in the direction they came, the librarian’s help desk
whizzed by, but not before revealing its grotesque secret. Below the desk sat another puddle of
dark liquid; fuzzy mold framed the puddle in green and white. These stagnant puddles,
previously unnoticed, were everywhere. It sat in the curves of reading couches and in the middle
of hallways often next to backpacks and piles of textbooks. There was a confusing pattern of
puddles throughout the library that was slowly beginning to take effect. Frankie couldn’t run
after this.
The process was slow. All firmness in their body faded as the lights of the library grew
far dimmer. Frankie sank into themself, left only with the sensation of a crayon sitting in the sun.
Spores of mold drifted to her nose. It tickled. The last thing Frankie felt were the butterflies in
their stomach: the kind of butterflies that come in the moments before a big change or leap of
faith.

14 comments:

  1. I loved this piece! It was off-putting in a way that made me want to read it again and again! I still don't know what about it is so magnetic, but I can't stop reading it! 5 stars :*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found it interesting how Frankie remained genderless for the majority of the story. There was an instance in the story where a pronoun was given to the character when said, "Frankie tuned into a hum that hadn’t stopped since she [Right there] had woken up." Was this intentional?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't intentional to put in the "she", sadly. I wanted to challenge myself and write in a gender neutral pronoun, but obviously it is harder than I originally thought; but I am glad that I made the choice to try it. It is an interesting topic to consider: the way that gender plays into the reader's image of the action and overall effect. I assume that most people will apply she/her pronouns while reading purely because of the name, but again. I'm happy that I tried it out.

      Delete
  3. The use of the pronoun "their" throughout the work adds a sense of mystery as to the gender of the character and the one time you add the pronoun "her" to describe Frankie alleviates my sense of wonder throughout the whole work! Love the imagery details and the story line is fascinating! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Again, it was a mistake :(
      But thank you! I do think it adds a lot to the story in terms of style!

      Delete
  4. I loved this. I like how it slowly escalated and I eventually hit a point where I caught on to what was happening, and it just drew me in even more. It really catches the reader's attention to try and understand what is actually going on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The use of a gender neutral pronoun makes me really happy because you don't see that often and I think it should have more visibility to open the discussion about asking people their pronouns instead of assuming. I was left on edge your whole piece about what direction it was going until the haunting images started appearing. Super good Joey! -Vanessa Lai

    ReplyDelete
  6. i was rather confused in the scenario of the story. But i still found it interesting, and the added use of a gender neutral poem was intriguing. I am just wondering why did you choose to do so. The imagery was spectacular, and I could just imagine the thought process going into the story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joseph Michael Barron! I love this piece so dang much! I almost felt as if I was reading a transcript of a Welcome to Night Vale podcast episode when I was reading this piece; it was so dark and dynamic that I stayed intrigued even after the last period. Honestly, I thought that your constant use of "their" and then the curve ball of using "she" was a stylistic choice to add to how abstract the story is. I really enjoyed reading this flash fiction Joey! It is honestly, truly, simply boo-tiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm I don't quite understand what's happening and but the story is pleasing even if slightly disturbing. Maybe in the future we can learn of what happens to Frankie and what significant decision they make.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Incredibly interesting use of pronouns throughout the story, I must say. That is something I have never seen before and it really added to the interest level of this piece. Your language and imagery are also fantastic and help build a vivid image in the reader's head. Also worth noting are the mystery and suspense that you built in your story. They worked really well (again, especially your pronouns) and kept me interested and wanting more. All in all, this is a great and enjoyable piece! Thank you for sharing with us! -Christopher Kerwin

    ReplyDelete
  10. This piece was so great and different I'm not even sure what to compliment you on. Ok, I found it interesting that you never say that Frankie is in college but the use of the quarter system, the 24 hour library, and the class being named "Fear in Literature" as opposed to "American Literature" made it quite apparent in my opinion.
    - Andy Burgos

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did such a great job, definitely made me think. How did you come up with this scenario?! The tension is too intense! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it's thoughtful for you to use gender neutral pronouns and stay mostly consistent throughout your piece. To often we have forced ourselves into a gender binary, and it is very hard to break out of that, and I want to think your piece is a bit about the looming presence of the gender binary, even though most of us do not realize it.

    ReplyDelete