Pages


Thursday, April 4, 2024

Uncomfortable--Rezzelle

 

My greatest skill is being uncomfortable. Discomfort automatically enforces a negative

impression since it may be wondered, how is that a skill? Last summer, I heard a faint meowing

sound through my window for a couple of nights. It was not until one night when I was parking

my car in the driveway that I heard the noise becoming more coherent. My curiosity and love for

animals led me to search for the stray kitten housing in the bush of my front yard. I immediately

fell in love with the kitten’s circular, emerald-colored eyes and gray-striped fur. A few weeks

later, nurturing the kitten back to a healthy state quickly made me grow an attachment as caring

for it was basically engraved in my daily routine. I was guaranteed that the kitten was officially

mine to keep until my mom, who strongly dislikes animals, rid me of it and gave it to my

long-distance uncle to keep while I was not home that day. The sudden shift in my routine caused

a feeling of uneasiness; the kitten was no longer a part of my day as I would not feed it as soon

as I woke up. This brought to my attention that changes are bound to be uncomfortable.


The definition of uncomfortable is to be in a state of discomfort, uneasiness, and being conscious

of stress or strain. Despite this word being seen in a negative light, my perception of the word is

what needs to occur in the process of expanding one’s horizons and seeking improvement. It is

not necessarily a bad thing, but you are simply doing something out of your comfort zone, which

evokes feelings of stress and unpleasantness. But what improvement is being made when you

stick with what feels normal to you? Memories that had a lasting impact on me when I was

plagued with the feeling of discomfort were when I tried out for tennis, but never in my life have

I touched a racket. I tried out for dance, but have never been to a studio. Humbling was merely

the word to summarize my humiliation and how belittled I felt. Being surrounded by experienced

athletes who devoted most of their childhood to a hobby I had yet to experience was

uncomfortable. However, I became a JV member for tennis and a Varsity member for dance, but

my accomplishments would have been hindered if I had feared discomfort and unfamiliarity.


Peter McWilliams once said, “Be comfortable being uncomfortable.” This simply means to be

willing to put yourself in positions where you will face hardships and obstacles, but there is

never an outcome where you do not gain positive results from this. If you believe that everything

happens for a reason, then take the situations that caused you the greatest pain to be opportunities

for growth and push your boundaries beyond what you are familiar with. Additionally, you

cannot be afraid of uncomfortable situations when change is inevitable and your comfort zone

can only remain secure for so long. This can be applied in various circumstances whether that is

being uncertain about trying a new haircut or hair color, going to the gym for the first time, or

learning how to detach from a person after a heartbreak. Whatever the circumstance is, as long as

you have the willingness to embrace change and discomfort, you are bound to find growth and

expound your potential.


Works Cited:

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/uncomfortable

https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/peter_mcwilliams_393223#:~:text=Peter%20McWilliams

%20Quotes&text=Please%20enable%20Javascript-,Be%20willing%20to%20be%20uncomforta

ble.,pay%20for%20living%20a%20dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment