Pages


Thursday, April 4, 2024

Greed--Agozie

 


Greed is one of the most powerful forces in the world. It drives us to put our own desires over the needs of others, whether it be for wealth, power, or any kind of self-gain. Greed can be characterized by its insatiable desire to obtain more. It seeks to swallow up every valuable asset until there is nothing left in its path, fully ignoring the consequences. While in some cases it may lead to success, the long-term implications of greed impact not only the individual but society as a whole. 

An immediate effect that stems from greed is the abandonment of morals. When fueled by greed, individuals ignore what is morally right in order to relentlessly pursue their goals. Whether it’s lying, cheating, exploiting, or any other method, greed is similar to a drug that clings onto someone and pushes them toward malice. Over a period of time greed breaks down relationships and strips the trust that others once had for you away. The tricky part about greed is that even after you purge it, if even an ounce remains, there is a chance that it will come back even stronger. 

Another characteristic of Greed is its ability to create a cycle of unstoppable desire. Regardless of how much one obtains, when fueled with greed no amount of possessions or wealth will be able to satisfy oneself. This pursuit only creates a mindset of emptiness, unsatisfied with the way things have turned out. As one becomes more focus on individual wealth and the material aspects of the world, relationships, health, and so many aspects of life suffer. Greed is a silent killer. 

On a larger scale, greed can undermine a society as a whole. As individuals all start to put their needs over the needs of their society, a gap forms between every person. A domino effect is set off, and social unrest grows exponentially. Those feeling exploited will take to the streets to push for equality and society as a whole will struggle to trust again. Neighbor will be pitted against neighbor and the Earth will suffer. Simply because of human nature, a society corrupted by greed can never exist. 

Additionally, greed can lead to environmental degradation and exploitation. As they pursue profit, companies will destroy the environment without care, using processes like pollution, deforestation, or overexploitation of natural resources. The effects that these methods have on the Earth are not short term by any means. As communities and wildlife suffer, their cries will be drowned out by the fattening of ‘the man's’ wallet. 

I myself was not immune to the effects of greed. It snuck its way into my life under the guise of ambition. It started with the first time I was appointed student council leader in 4th grade. The feeling I got from my victory had me hooked. I wanted more ‘power.’ More influence. I craved all the respect my peers had to offer. At every chance I got I would run for leadership positions, handing every opponent a vicious defeat. With each victory, I got more and more ‘ambitious,’ eager to defend the influence I had amassed and add to it tenfold. It wasn’t until junior year that I realized I wasn’t running to improve the school as I was telling myself. The only person I was running for was myself. Going into senior year I vowed to become a representative that the underclassmen leaders could look at for reference. I barely escaped the clutches of greed and to be honest, somestimes I still feel its grip. The only way to defeat it is to focus on what truly matters - love, compassion, and morality. 

Overall, greed is a destructive force that can have far-reaching consequences for both individuals and society as a whole. It can lead to unethical behavior, dissatisfaction, and inequality, as well as environmental degradation and social unrest. By recognizing the negative effects of greed and striving for a more balanced and compassionate approach to life, we can work towards creating a more just and sustainable world for all. If humanity fails to keep its greed under control as we famously have in the past, there is no miracle in the universe that could save us. 

Sources: https://bbc.com/news/science-environment-61221666

 https://public.wsu.edu/~taflinge/socgreed.html#:~:text=A%20person%20dominated%20by%20gr eed,bans%20individual%20greed%20can%20suffer. 

https://geediting.com/9-dire-consequences-of-greed-on-personal-relationships/#:~:text=The%20 desire%20to%20have%20more,irreparable%20damage%20to%20your%20relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment