Pages


Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Discrimination--Alexis

As an adolescent child, white supremacists’ racist behavior towards African Americans is what I knew to be the only racism occurring in society. It never crossed my mind at such a young age that discrimination towards other races was a severe conflict in different areas of the world. My perception changed and I soon became aware of the racism and offensive stereotyping aimed at different ethnic groups when I moved and started school in a primarily Hispanic community. Coming from a household of both Hispanic and Asian heritage was not common in this community and due to my differences, discrimination and rejection was typical for my family to encounter on a daily basis. Being partially Hispanic did not ensure the fact that I would fit into the cliques at school. In fact, none of my classmates acknowledged that I was of Hispanic background at all due to my Chinese last name and physical appearances that classified me as Asian, and, in their eyes, an outcast. It was difficult and confusing to encounter this type of rejection because I believed I fit into the category of normality due to my Hispanic background but my stereotypical Asian appearance seemed to dissuade acceptance from these people. Being half Hispanic and half Asian made bullying confusing to understand growing up. It was hard going to school and focusing on my academics when all I could think about was fitting in, becoming more social, and making friends. None of my classmates would accept me into their groups because I looked different and acted different. Little things like bringing Asian foods from home, reading manga books and talking about anime shows were considered weird to the kids at school. Even things like having a last name of Asian culture was mocked upon. I would constantly ask my parents things like, “Why do people make fun of what I look like?” and “Why did people mock my last name for fun?”. What made this part of my life most confusing was the fact that I thought I fit into the category of the norm because just like everyone else, I am human and I have two eyes, one heart and ten fingers. Yes, I am of Hispanic background but my Asian characteristics did not ensure acceptance to the people in that community. I did not satisfy the standards of many students in order to fit in. Classmates labeled me as “Weird”, “Odd” and even “Funny looking”, due to the way my eyes were shaped. Things like my lunch that I brought to school was judged upon. I didn’t know whether to apologize for being different because I bring rice for lunch instead of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches or if I should be grateful that I even have food to eat. Being a minority in that community resulted in me dealing with verbal and physical abuse as well from classmates. This continuously lowered my self esteem and forced me to learn and cope with my emotions in hiding. People in my neighborhood and school not only treated me as an outcast because of my race but of my struggles in speaking and stuttering complications as well. I grew up speaking Spanish as a child and transitioning to speaking English was difficult to me. It resulted in me taking speech classes that were supposed to better my pronunciation of English words and improve my flow in sentences. Students and even teachers tended to look down on me as the lowest succeeding person in class because twice a week I was required me to get pulled out of class and go to these special courses. All this neglect and doubtfulness of my intelligence I have received from people challenged my tolerance which has made me a stronger person today. I realized as I grew older that if I want to achieve my goals, I needed to stop letting others set a standard for me or else I wouldn’t be able to reach my full potential. Moving away from that community and entering a high school with a wider range of diversity taught me to become proud of who I am and the cultures my family comes from. Being exposed to discrimination and rejection at such a young age has helped develop my character and lead me to feed off negativity and use it as a source of motivation. I was raised to keep to myself as a way to avoid trouble, but this social strategy has only resulted in people seeing me as a prey. This part of my life has made an impact on how I perceive discrimination and racism. I am no longer the shy and weak outcast but instead, an intelligent and unique individual who is driven to succeed.

19 comments:

  1. This, in combination with your sonnet (which I loved, by the way) allowed me to see how you've made all the teasing and bullying into a strength rather than allowing it to bring you down, and it's very inspiring to read. Thank you for sharing your story :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember you telling bits an pieces about being bullied back in Hall's class. I'm very glad that you were able to overcome this and become a stronger person. This is a very well written personal piece about yourself. Good job(:

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you displayed that discrimination occurs in all cultures and races. I sympathized with your past situation and am glad that you have grown as a person. Overall this was a good piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the overall message of this story. It's truly amazing how even though you were tormented and looked down upon when you were younger, you still learned to love yourself and forget what other people say of think about you, and instead used it to make yourself stronger. You will be a role model for everyone you come in contact with that is also being discriminated against because of your strength and courage. Outstanding Job!

    P.S.: I like reading Manga too :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Aliyah this means so much to me! Looking back into dark pasts can help a person reflect to be a better person and that sure did happen to me(:

      Delete
  5. Your strengths from these past experiences reflect the message behind your sonnet beautifully and as someone of mixed ethnicity myself, I can relate to your past struggle of being shut out based on appearance and stereotypes. Amazing piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you caught the connection between my sonnet and blog post!
      I'm glad someone else can relate too(:

      Delete
  6. I've been trying to figure out how to respond to this piece this entire week. A lot of the events you mentioned were extremely relatable from being not accepted in a group for acting/looking different and struggling in school having not been accommodated to American culture/language. I could and was about to write a whole essay on my thoughts on discrimination in general, but I'll probably save that for my blog piece probably. I'm happy about the things you took out of the bullying you faced and transformed it into fuel for success. :) Thank you for sharing. This kinda refueled my thoughts on wanting to create a show similar to fresh off the boat with a different social class and location.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Andrew! You totally should do something like that! I would more than interested in that especially since I love that show(:

      Delete
  7. This piece made me angry and sad, it's such a shame that today, in the 21st century, even little kids are subjected to the ridiculous taunts that stem from ignorance and an unwillingness to educate oneself. I greatly admire the fact that you looked to those experiences for strength, great job Alexis (:
    -Vanessa Colt

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is honestly so relatable, I feel you I went through the same struggle growing up. I am glad you made through all of these difficulties, it must have been really hard considering you were so you were so young. This piece is really inspirational and I hope things do change in the future for children of color, because this is a common issue that sadly we still see today. Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was such an emotional piece ! I loved all the emotions put into this, it is so sad to see that their is still discrimination happening but you managed to look at the positive side and get good out of it


    -Melanie Salazar

    ReplyDelete
  10. This piece really showcased your growth as a person even though I really don't know you that well. From your piece, I think you were confused and hurt by the discrimination against you for being Hispanic and Asian, but as you got older and met more people and developed confidence in yourself, you acknowledged the past and the negativity surrounding discrimination (and it still exists today unfortunately) you used it to help you grow stronger as a person. This piece is inspiring because it makes me proud of my Asian roots and it inspires me to always aim high and achieve what the haters say I can't. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can relate with this piece so much because I was also bullied for my ethnicity when I was in elementary school. I am so happy that you've overcome this harsh obstacle and that you're the strong girl that I believe you are. Don't let the haters get to you because in the end, you are the bigger person. I think you are very brave for choosing this topic as your blog post. Great job! -Lisa Ryu

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can relate to you on a spiritual level. I went to a white-dominated middle school where they called me Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee. I ignored them, and didn't really care because I knew I was better than them and smarter than them. Good job Alexis! -Ethan To

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very empowering! I too have faced such forms of discrimination and racism, even from adults in my life who I thought would never be so unkind. Thank you, Alexis.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This piece is VERY relevant to our society today. It is very difficult to identify as a mixed-race person because some people around us only see what's on the surface and don't consider our background and history. Im very happy that you were able to overcome the obstacles that this issue gave to you, and that you are able to be true to yourself despite what other people might see or think.
    -Austin Gomez

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really admire you sharing this with us, it takes a strong person to overcome an obstacle like this. As a minority myself I can say you are not alone and we must all be strong like this to overcome discrimination.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad that you wrote this piece. The emotion that you carry as you describe the bullying and unfair treatment you endured as a result of your ethnicity is heart-wrenching. It really shows massive strength to come out of this with your head held high, and it makes me so happy that it helped you begin to love yourself. Very well done!

    ReplyDelete