Pages


Monday, May 12, 2014

Nicole


“Scarlett, get your feet off the table.”
Her mother scowled at her through her knitting. It was the second time the order had been evoked in the past hour. Scarlett remained in her current position, gazing out the window, and seemingly oblivious to everything around her. Her cross stitch remained forgotten on her lap.
                  “Scarlett, your feet off the table at once!” her mother snapped.
Scarlett was drawn out of her reverie and stared at the woman before her with an utmost blank expression.
                  “Excuse me?” she said, not attempting to be rude, but sounding it regardless.
                  “Goodness gracious Scarlett! Sit up straight. Remove your feet.  Behave like the woman you are! Why can’t you follow your sisters’ examples?”
                  “I am not a woman,” said Scarlett. “And I don’t have to follow anyone.”
Petulantly, she slid farther down her wicker chair and uncrossed her legs in the most unwomanly manner.
                  “Enough!” outraged, her mother set down her knitting and grabbed Scarlett by the arm. “If you so wish to seem a barbarian, I shall treat you as such.”
Scarlett mused a struggle, but found that she was not in the mood. Instead, she allowed her body to fall limp, thus increasing her mother’s efforts to extract her from the room. As she was pulled along the ground, she noticed her sisters Harriett and Caroline snickering in the corner. Encouraged, Scarlett closed her eyes, stuck out her tongue, and imagined herself a dead corpse being dragged out of a crime scene.
                  “Enough of this nonsense! Stand up on your feet,” cried her mother, exasperatedly. “You are truly a hopeless case.”
                  “Hopeless case am I?” said the dead corpse, “Why you’re more a disaster for birthing such a case!”
                  “No more Scarlett. Not another word!” her mother managed to open the door to Scarlett’s room and shoved her inside. “You wait until your father hears about this!”
Cursing under her breath in an even more unwomanly manner, her mother shut the door and was gone, leaving Scarlett to stare at the ceiling for she did not feel like sitting up.
All the rules, all of the stupid rules. Scarlett hated them. There was no reason why she couldn’t put her feet up when they felt sore or eat without a handkerchief on her lap. She was no child, she knew how to eat without making a mess. She was sixteen, a perfectly good age to do whatever she pleased-

Knock! Knock! Knock!

Scarlett froze as she heard the front door. A familiar voice caused strange feelings to erupt from her navel as she attempted to eavesdrop.
                  “Hello Madam Melcott, is Scarlett home?” came the boyish voice of Jeremy Boise.
                  “Yes Jeremy, she is home, but she cannot see you for she’s busy,” came the sound of her mother.
                  “Busy? Or in trouble?” came the inquisitive remark of Jeremy Boise.
                  “Always a clever boy, aren’t you?” said her mother. “But very well, yes, she has not been in a graceful mood of late. I suggest you return in a few days.”
                  “Yes Madam Melcott.” He was quite the suave liar. “Have a good day.”
                  “Have a good day Jeremy,” and with that, the front door was closed.
Scarlett listened intently. She did not have to wait long until there came the familiar sound of wood scraping against wood.  A slight breeze swept through her room from the window.
                  “Hello beautiful.”
Scarlett stared up at Jeremy from where she laid on the floor. He was a very handsome young man, with curling light hair, thin eyebrows, gray eyes, and a slender complexion that exemplified his cheek bones.
                  “Hello, how nice of you to drop in.”
She moved to sit up, but he stopped her.
                  “No, wait.” His smile became mischievous and he bent down. He made as though to give her a peck, but withdrew quickly just as she began to reach out to him.
                  “Jeremy Boise, if you were any more a tease, my curls would be gone,” Scarlett rolled her eyes.
                  “Not as much as you, what with being locked up all the time where I can’t see you,” he replied. “Is behaving appropriately such a chore?”
                  “Behaving to the social convention of my mother is not something I am willing to stoop to in order to grace you with my presence,” said Charlotte, amused, as she rose. “Anyhow, you’re always welcome in through my window.”
                  “And alas, only that,” Jeremy sighed tragically, sitting at the foot of her bed.
                  “If the liberties I bestow upon you are too much for your temptations to contend with, perhaps it would be best that I revoke them,” said Scarlett, sitting beside him.
                  “You sound like your mother.”
                  “What a horrible thing to say!” she exclaimed, “Your insults have improved quite.”
They laughed silently. Jeremy grabbed her hand in between his,
                  “I fear the hindquarters of our joke may come in at any a moment. I must be off now.”
                  “Already? But why, you’ve only just arrived. She won’t be in soon, her pride is larger than her waist, if you can believe that,” Scarlett tightened her hold on him.
                  “I feel that we’ve broken the rules enough for one day,” he said.
 “Come along, we’ve broken the rules before. Who’s to say there’s a greater hell for those who’ve broken the same rules many a time?”
“I’ll come back tomorrow.”
“I would wish you to come back tonight.”
                  “I wish so too, but it cannot be.” He caressed her face softly. “I’ll be back, soon as I can.”
                  “Promise?”
                  “Promise. In the meanwhile, do try to stay out of trouble. I’ve taken notice of splinters in unmentionable locations from my breaking and entering,” he rose, laughing.
Scarlett nodded, unable to fight off a grin.
                  “Goodbye,” Jeremy quickly pecked her and dashed to the window.
                  “Goodbye.”
And he was gone.
Scarlett laid back in bed and decided to take a nap, not in the mood to continue her crochet or practice her French. It felt as though her eyes had barely closed when she was again awoken by the sound of her door.
                  “Now, did you have sufficient amount of time to think over your actions?” demanded her mother. “I assume you’ve served your punishment righteously?”
                  “Yes ma’am,” said Scarlett. It was very hard to conceal her smile.
                  “Very well, you may go off to supper now,” her mother said. Scarlett rose and exited, “But this is not over, mind you. We’re going to have a serious talk when your father gets home.”

                  Indeed, when Scarlett’s father arrived, there was a great discussion over the course of her future and whether or not a child such as herself could ever be tame enough to find a suitable husband. Words were exchanged back and forth between her mother and father, while Scarlett merely sat in a chair between them and daydreamed of the day’s earlier events.
                  “Scarlett, are you even listening to us?” demanded her mother.
                  “Huh?” It was clearly not the correct answer
                  “The girl has the attention span of an insect!” exclaimed her father, “What in the world has your mind preoccupied so?”
She decided for the truth,
                  “Jeremy,” Scarlett replied.
There was a momentary pause where her parents exchanged looks.
                  “Jeremy Boise?” voiced her father. “That boy from across the way?”
                  “Yes.”
                  “And what about him do you think about in such a focused manner?” he commanded to know. 
                  “Nothing scandalous. He’s just a well boy, you know. A fine gentleman. I’d say you’d approve of him – as a prospective husband, I mean,” Scarlett said.
                  “Well,” began her mother, rather surprised, “He’s a fine boy, I shall admit, but I’ve heard talk about him in town.”
                  “Talk?” inquired Scarlett. “What sort of talk?”
                  “And you intend for him to ask for your hand in marriage?” asked her father, skeptically.
                  “What talk?” Scarlett repeated, directed towards her mother. “Well?”
                  “They say his parents have arranged him with Mr. Chauncy’s daughter, Elizabeth. They’re to marry soon,” her mother replied. “I assumed you knew, him being a close friend of yours and all.”
                  “Oh yes, I heard Mr. Chauncy speaking in regards to his daughter’s engagement to  Boise,” her father added. “I assumed it was with the elder son, Richard, however…”
It was as though something large had knocked the breath out of her. Scarlett couldn’t breathe, she couldn’t speak. Jeremy  was – engaged? Her parents were saying things, but she could not hear them.
                  “No, nonsense,” said Scarlett, mostly to herself. “Utter nonsense!”
And without waiting for a reaction, she stormed out of the parlor and ran up the stairs until she reached the attic. There wasn’t a chance she’d go back to her room anytime soon, not where she’d seen him last. That horrible boy. That ghastly fraud!!  The trait she had so endeared now caused her a vastness of hatred. Suave liar he was! That bastard! And to avoid damaging the nearby furnishings, Scarlett curled up into a ball and contented herself with shrieking enough curse words to render a congregation of nuns into a shock induced coma. 

32 comments:

  1. Ahhh, Nicole! Why did you do that?! I was like wow she's found a guy that likes her just as she is and then BAM, dumb guy is engaged!! I would love to read more of this to see what happens! Btw...it kind of reminded me of Little Women :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow this was amazing! I love the diction you used and all of the metaphors and how you made the main character relatable to our age. I also liked the plot twist! another thing that made the story good was some of the commical remarks. great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Scarlett! I loved Scarlett's character, such a trouble maker. It was a cute little story & I enjoyed the read ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a very well detailed flash fiction! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the amount of dialogue in this submission! Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute story... but oh that plot twist! the detail was fantastic...I loved it!
    - Hannah Mueller (12) per. 3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked how she wasnt this proper young lady, her careless attitude was something different and appealing in my sense. I totally fell in love with the whole boy climbing up to her window, not being to romantic but just that hint of affection was something blissful, my jaw dropped when there parents mentioned his engagement i really was hoping for a conversation between them two because you never know, maybe it could be something like romeo and juliet and they escape from that town and fall in love.. but of course her being a girl she jumped to conclusions way to fast haha (-:

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay seriosisly Nicole! This was like pure genious! as jerine had said the diction is just perfect and the whole concept is wonderful! Keep up the great work! I wish I could read another!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like how her relationship with her mother reflects another person I know. ;) Nice use of diction and character development...ooh Lala

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Nicole....why have any pure romance...why did he have to be a sneaky bum?....alas...my heart for Jeremy is reduced to an empty glass and I can't right now... Beautifully written as usual! Nicole...please don't lose your sense of humor...like ever...it shows all to well in this piece :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. That plot twist totally caught me off gaurd and made the story so much better!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. guys are so scandalous! haha i was all happy for her but nooooo:p i loved how she didn't fit the normal idea of a typical woman(: it was cute(: good job!(:

    ReplyDelete
  13. uguguguguguguguug stoooooooooop! the dialogue was addictingly charming, what time period is this? I imagine thick gowns, country, outback, braids, handkerchiefs. Wow props to you for aiding in my visual simply with the dialect. The jokes on point, nothing less from such a comic prodigy, and play on cliches poignant. Why she would believe her parents when she doesn't listen to anything else they say does kind of disappoint me, have some faith in Jeremy yes? jeeeeez. but then again. boys suck soooooo hahahhaha thank you for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the character Scarlett this story was great like everyone else I was hoping that she found the one lol nice twist I would love to read more

    ReplyDelete
  15. Like Elizabeth and Jerine said, awesome dialogue and diction! I loved the amount of conversation that went on and not to mention the random change in plot! Awesome work :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! This was quite entertaining, and I didn't have to skim it. I truly loved it. The poor girl :( If you happened to expand on this story, I'd like to read more of it. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nooo~ the story was so perfect and then he ended up being engaged.. why~ You did a wonderful job and have great talent in writing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Woah there future famous author! I really like your piece! Very interesting and I definitely agree to Elizabeth with the great diction in this! Good job and I know you are a great writer! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Man you have a gift, this kept me interested the whole time and i really read it all. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really hope you plan on turning this into a novel because I absolutely love it, the writing and the story line is just wow! Such a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  21. bruh... this sounded like i was reading a novel from a good writer. but man sucks that he was engaged after the girl liked him. he wasn't even in the friendzone poor girl smh

    ReplyDelete
  22. ha I like this! When I was reading it, I kept thinking "who else but Scarlett!" good job!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your writing really immersed me well into the story. I just had to read it through to the end.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow!! Really enjoyed it! Your use of diction was amazing. I literally fell in love with the whole story.

    ReplyDelete
  25. WOW! Way to go! This was amazing from the beginning all the way through the end. I loved the story line. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  26. PLOT TWIST! Your style of writing totally sucked me into this amazing short story! I was not expecting that. good job.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I really enjoyed that, can I read the rest?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Halfway through I completely forgot that I was reading a blog submission, it felt like I was lost in an amazing book! This is so beautifully written and the dialogue is such a great addition, it's as if I can see everything happening right before me! I loved the whole old-fashioned feel I got from the whole piece :) very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is a good flash fiction, I love how you used a lot of details.

    ReplyDelete
  30. There was a really Victorian/Jane Austen vibe to this which I liked. Especially with the protagonist who's more strong willed than her peers. I didn't see that twist at the end so good job.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh my gosh! THIS STORY WAS SO WELL WRITTEN AND AMAZING. I can tell by the length and great character development that you put in alot of effort. I felt in the beginning I could relate to Scarlet. I remember when I was a little girl I was so unlady-like and I would never listen to my mother's lectures. I would hang out with more the boy gender too than the girls. Anyway, the ending saddens me!

    ReplyDelete
  32. damn nicole i didn't know you could write. IT'S BEAUTIFULLL. pls write more. ily.

    ReplyDelete