Pages


Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Sarah--How to Get Through and Enjoy Everyday

Happiness doesn’t last forever. As people, we have gone through multiple bad days, weeks, months, etc., and we know that good moments are fleeting. Our most memorable days and favorite memories are usually made up of short, spontaneous instances. Due to their “come and go” nature, sometimes enjoying the good times seems futile; if it is not going to last or, even worse, be stopped short by inevitable ‘bad times’, then what is the point of indulging in it? It is rational to try to protect oneself by living a life with no highs and lows, but living a stagnant life like that make one afraid of enjoying themselves and, with the absence of joy, one becomes critical and depressed. The following will an instruction on how to enjoy the good, survive and appreciate the bad, and how to make even the worst day have a glimmer of joy. 1. Be open to the idea that you deserve to be happy, and patient with yourself. An essential part of this step is to allow yourself to be vulnerable. (Take small steps to get there). Do not try to convince yourself that you do not deserve joy, and put walls up to protect yourself from feeling it. It is okay to be fragile everyone is anyway and it is okay to struggle with this idea. Give yourself time to be able to appreciate yourself first, before you begin to put that attention and effort onto other things. You’ll begin to feel better overall, and can then begin to feel better about your day. 2. Begin to try and enjoy the smaller things. There are multiple ways to interpret this step: you can try to pay attention to the things you usually overlook, you can look at things and actions in a different light, or identify and seek out a small pleasure you have and invest a few minutes in your day to really enjoy it. It could be from the feeling of warm socks, the sound of rain, the feeling of petting fur, even something mundane like watching turning signals flash at the same time deserves some appreciation! When you feel you find a new acknowledgment for something, you sometime you usually wouldn’t really give a thought about, you sometimes learn something more about yourself. 3. Find something you really, truly enjoy. Take the time to find something that you truly enjoy doing to give yourself a breather when things in your life get too much, or to brighten up your day when you feel the lowest. Finding something that speaks to you will be time consuming, so patience is essential. This step does not necessarily have to do with a skill, like painting or singing. Napping, for example, can be the thing you find is the most enjoyable thing. This is an entirely personal step, so anything goes just as long as it makes you enjoy your time. WARNING : It is okay if your enjoyable thing can not get you in a better mood or make your day less rough. Not everything can be fixed with fun things, no matter how positive your outlook is. If our favorite thing eases the pains of the day even a little bit, then you’re on the right track. Remember from step 1: small steps! 4. Understand the importance of bad days; don’t be afraid of them! No one enjoys having long, bad days. But bad days are unavoidable, so to get through them the best we can, we have to accept them for what they are, and not dwell on what had happened that turned the day sour. Remember that, just like good days, it won’t last forever. Once you can accept it, it is easier to move on from it. This is where the small pleasures and your favorite activity can come in envelope yourself with things you enjoy at the end the day or just appreciate small good things that happened through the day to get along faster. Eventually, bad days will seem shorter and shorter as you understand how to get over them faster. 5. Lastly, let yourself appreciate and love unconditionally. Allow yourself to enjoy things of your day with reckless abandon. Love your friends for who they are and find the value in your interactions with them. Full immerse yourself in music or the activity you found in step 3 and put your entire heart into it. If you fail at that activity, forgive yourself as everyone makes mistakes and keep trying. Treasure the experiences you had throughout your day, whether they be good or bad, to remind yourself of your mortality and that you, despite being a miniscule part of the grand scheme of things, are still a part of something amazing. Love yourself unapologetically, since you deserve it. And to repeat to step 2, remember the tiny things that can be the reason your day is worthwhile.

30 comments:

  1. getting through the day, i think during this generation has become something that is hard for many people and its hard to find a way to teach people to do so and enjoy their lives, but the steps you created i think really set guidelines for it. I like how each step is vague yet structured, they tell you what do to, but not exactly how, you have the choice to pick the things you enjoy for instance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading this story. It was so cute & relatable great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, we all have bad days and take L's, but we get better by learning from them. This is kinda why I enjoy introvert-ism, as it helps me discover and be more comfortable with myself. It's always good to just enjoy the little things instead of focusing on the bad things. I love this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything you say is so true! We all often get too into our struggles and personal stress that we forget to do things that will make us truly happy or simply acknowledge the little blessings everyday, even in the worst of days. Thanks for the reminder, this is super relateable and very well thought out, great job!- Aileen Munoz

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find these steps very helpful. Personally, I'm no good when it comes to managing my emotions on bad days. This piece really set the base for me when it comes to dealing with them. Great piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked the way you introduced your topic and made it relatable. The concept is definitely something we can always work on and your suggestions were very encouraging, great job! -Courtney Jacques

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like this :) and I think it has a lot of credibility coming from someone who always seems to be eager & happy , even for the simplest things! I especially liked it when you said "enjoy things of your day with reckless abandon." I thought that was such a perfect substitute for the typical "make the best of everyday" because the diction is so much more lively, which matched with your theme . Thanks for sharing your advice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how you tell us to realize bad days, I love the touch with reality, and the acceptance of the good that there is. I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know for me personally I allow those bad days to cloud my mind longer than they should. Appreciating the small things could bring me so much happiness, thank you for reminding me

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this piece for the simplicity of a usually complex idea. Being happy seems like a foreign concept to some people, but this how to is easily relatable and makes me believe that anyone can do it. I love how you started out with a sort of story and made all of the steps connect. Amazing job!
    -Chloe Hopkins

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is what I needed to read and I think most over stressed high schoolers need to read, it showed me that I need to enjoy the little things and get back into the simple things that bring joy to my life. I need to not focus on all the problems that may be surrounding me at a time so thank you for putting this out there.
    -Meghan Ustrell

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think that sometimes everyday gets a little harder and everyday we face more challenges but we do have to stop every once in a while and just remember that life gets better and that we have to think about better things

    ReplyDelete
  13. Its so true we all have bad days, but I enjoy the guidelines you put.
    -Kasandra Felix

    ReplyDelete
  14. As the end of the year is quickly approaching stress is also coming along with it and your piece made me feel relaxed and settling I enjoyed it and I think it takes great maturity to realize that you cannot always have a great day, as well as your day is not promised to get any better by doing something you enjoy. Good Job!
    -Sienna Carbajal

    ReplyDelete
  15. Life is all about happiness. I strive to make those around me as happy as I can, and sometimes I forget that my health and happiness is important too. A very truthful piece that many need to keep in mind as a lot of seniors, including me, graduate this year. Focus on school, but also do what you know what will make you happy in life.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great piece! It's a great reminder after being busy and caught up all the time to just remember to try and be happy and relive yourself of all the stress. Thought you did a really good job hitting all the points good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a nice topic that is actually very important, as stress and external interferences can affect the ability that we have to make the best out of a day and be hopeful for the next day! Great topic and nicely written.
    -Lorena Meza

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really like your concept of your piece. It is simple yet a complex subject and I really enjoyed it! I will use this when I have a bad day! Thanxs

    ReplyDelete
  19. This was a great picker-upper!! I wasn't in the most pleasant of moods all day and this really put a smile on my face! I can definitely say that I am a very stressed person and this how-to was extremely relatable. Very good job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. "Bad days will seem shorter and shorter as you understand how to get over them faster" I truly loved this line, thanks for reminding me to appreciate the life I have instead of moping about how it's not going my way.
    -Naeomi

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think as a seniors (or most of us at least) we all need a How To like this... We're always on edge, always pessimistic and cynical about things in life, especially now that we are going to be really experiencing the world. I like that you wrote this piece to remind there are good, fun and memorable moments in life, and to take advantage of these moments. Good job!
    -Oyinda Akinnusi

    ReplyDelete
  22. This piece was very relatable. I think it is very important for students, or anyone really, to understand the value of enjoying what life has to offer every day. You did great discussing this topic, and also adding your view on it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is really relatable in how people especially our generation live our lives day to day. We focus too much on things too much that we forget to make sure we are happy or even satisfied with life. I like how it allowed for freedom of choice for people's creativity.
    -Jeremiah Eugenio

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thoughtful,knowledgeable,interesting.Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the idea behind this piece, it serves as a great tool for anyone to look back on when they feel they need a pick-me up. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I only wish people would live by these rules. I'm glad that you emphasized the importance of self-love because if you can't love yourself, how can you love someone else? I also appreciate that you urged readers to enjoy the little things in life because after all, those little moments can amount to our greatest memories of happiness. Thanks for sharing this piece and I hope your readers take these major keys into consideration.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This was amazing and it made me feel so happy. Thank you for choosing to write a piece about how everyone can brighten up their day and be just a little bit happier. :D

    ReplyDelete
  28. Fantastic! I too feel we all need to give ourselves a few minutes to just give time to ourselves and relax, enjoy, or read motivational writings like yours! I completely agree with your writing and it is true that we, as human beings, must recharge every now and then. This piece truly inspires one to just do what they want for a few minutes and give themselves the time they need. Again, fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love thorough evaluation of the high and low points of our lives! I think it's wise to advise that we acknowledge that bad days end just as good days do.
    -Brandon Lim

    ReplyDelete
  30. I often find myself struggling with the idea of forgiving myself and being happy. Pieces such as this put things in perspective. Thank you for your submission

    ReplyDelete